Yotarip's Turbo Truck - " Project Rebirth "

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by yotarip, May 9, 2008.

1. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Yeah. Ihave a set of Hanneman bed flares like this truck.

[​IMG]

But they dont fit anywhere as nice as what's in the pic. He must have put ALOT of work into fitting them. I have work to do.

MrDinkleman and Luxsupra like this.
  2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    That *IS* nice. Makes me want to reconsider...

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Seeing this makes me rethink of getting rid of my 4x4 front fenders.. Decisions, decisions...

Is thise fenders the bolt on for the pickup or the 4runner? Looking at the site, there isn't a pic for the pickup bolt on. But the 4runner's looks like it will work better; body line wise. Correct me if im wrong though

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  4. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

They are the 4runner rear flares. He also installed the 4runner rear bumper.
    [​IMG]
    It was that picture that made me pull the trigger and buy them. Work is needed to get them to look that good. Also, the fuel door will need to be fighured out. The flare covers it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Easier option hehe...
    [​IMG]

6. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I dont have fuel door anymore. Plus im moving new tank to spare tire location.
    That pic defiantly shows it alot better.. Might go this route and just keep the 4x4 fenders..

7. spoon

spoon Newbie

Just spent the second half of my Sunday reading through the entire build thread. Thanks for all the hard work and inspiration.

In your most recent pics, you have a simple 2.5" drop with blocks out back, and cranked down torsions up front? I like where yours is sitting, and am thinking to do the same to mine.

8. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Yep. That's it. I do plan on getting dropped spindles for the front so I can crank up the torsion bars a bit. I need to level out the steering geometry to clear up the bump steer I it has.

spoon and MrDinkleman like this.
  9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Thanks for info/confirmation! I've been waffling between 2" and 3" blocks but I guess I will go with 2" blocks.

10. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

So, whenever I feel like I'm finished with her, I realize that I'm not. The buddy I'm helping build the 1uz vvti mini suggested that I paint the bumper gun metal to match the wheels. Then I decided to get a new black grill and jdm corners with black trim to match. I like it.

[​IMG]

Started working on another vented hood. The first one I made had rust issues in the bracing/ support.

[​IMG]

New 4runner fenders from ebay came in.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about cutting and grafting the used 4x4 fenders onto the bed.

Also working on a disc brake conversion for the 8" axle I found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still going ford 8.8 but I'd like to succeed in this so I can install this rear in my 81 corolla wagon in the future.

grassfed and Luxsupra like this.
  11. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Killer build as always! :waytogo:

Only thing I can see that I would change is the mirrors and windshield trim are the only chrome. But that's just me lol

12. spoon

spoon Newbie

Wow loving the progress man! Where do you get JDM parts for these trucks? I am all about that.

13. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

So, my buddy and I finally got his 1uz vvti swap in his 94 pickup running. It's mostly downhill from there. While finishing up his truck, I'm gonna start downing a few mods to my truck. Just posting a pic of how she looks up to now. More updates to come.

[​IMG]

Luxsupra likes this.
  14. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    If you have an 8" why would you screw with an 8.8 at all? That's a step backwards.

What rotors are those on the rear disc swap? Those V6 4x4 calipers are crazy overkill for the rear but you'll never be under braked. :ROFL:

15. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

I see reading comprehension isn't taught in Virginia schools these days eh?

I'm not "clowning"on anyone's vehicle at all. Simply stating that he already has an 8" that's going in so why swap it yet again later.

As for the calipers sure, a proportioning valve will drop the pressure, but a properly sized caliper in comparison to the front will be easier to tune. Using the same caliper brackets with a set of 4 cylinder is era calipers with 2 large and 2 small pistons would be a better match. Use the V6 calipers up front, it's simply a better use for them. At this point he simply may be using the larger calipers for mock up since they are the same fitment as 4 cylinder, we just do not know.

16. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

As a man born and raised in Virginia, I take the reading comprehension comment personally. Next, Luxsupra (also born and raised in VA) is one of the most articulate and insightful guys you could meet in person. Your last statement was "we do not know". Uhm, Luxsupra knows because he's witnessing the build in person. He checks out my truck every time he comes by my house to work on the swap in his truck.

Please explain how a 8.8" is a downgrade compared to a toyota 8". The 8.8 has a posi, factory bolt on disc brake conversion, 3.07 gears and the wider track I need to fill the bedflares that will be installed. All that for $200. The 8.8" is the best option for where I'm taking this build.

The toyota 8" will eventually find it's way into my corolla wagon. I'll throw the 8" in the truck and dial in the brake setup. I'll then swap in the 8.8" once I complete the mods needed to get it in the truck. I'll have 4 pot calipers on the 8.8" also.

Yes, the brakes are overkill but so is the V8 swap. No, it will not be under braked, under powered or under estimated.:waytogo:

17. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    When a person displays terrible reading comprehension skills I'll call them on it. I didn't say a single bad thing about your rig just that it wouldn't lack braking ability and hillrod starts talking smack about my junk. I don't care if he talks smack about my basic bitch looking truck but when he clearly hasn't got a clue I'm embarrassed for him. My junk isn't supposed to be flashy, that's the point of it. Shiny paint and a "stance" don't make it go faster around corners. :lol:

I'll pick an 8" over an 8.8 every single day since it is versatile and strong. Want to change the gears? No problem, find another 3rd member. Blowing up 4 cylinder gears? Again no lroblem, drop in a V6 3rd, still having issues then grab a 2005+ "8.4" 3rd and clearance the difference cover for clearance and you'll have a bombproof 3rd with carrier cap girdle. If there is any single advantage to an 8.8 it is the e brake on the disc brake setup. I have all the parts to do rear discs on my lawnmower but I like my e brake so it hasn't been done yet.

Being underestimated is one of the best parts of these trucks. Destroying riced out hondas on twisty roads is one of my favorite things. You can catch them in the straights, at this point I have to get them in the corners but more power is on the horizon... Going to swap in a 22hp Kohler soon. :p

18. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I still want to know what rotors are going to be used for the rear discs. Or is that a clowning comment too? :lol:

19. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

LOL. Front rotors from a 94 Grand Marquis. They fit over the axle flange nicely. The flange serves like a hubcentric ring. Don't know if the tolerance in castings will be tight enough where each new rotor fits the same as this one.

I walked past a Jeep wrangler as I left with this rotor. The Jeep"s front rotor looked very similar. Was to tired to investigate further.

20. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

Perfect. I have a set of rear rotors from a 98ish mid sized gm that are a perfect match for 2wd front or any caliper with a 13/16 throat. Options and tech are always welcome so knowing another rotor that has a deep enough hat to line up with the wheel bearing retainer is good info.