What weight/brand motor oil are you using?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Spacemonkee23, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    A fresh motor should be on high zinc conventional. If it has some miles you can use a synthetic. Might be good to add zinc in ever few oil changes though. I run mobile one in the car. Seems a lot of people back them. And if you're fine with Wal-Mart you can get 5qts for about 25 bucks. I always here bad things about Fram filters like metal shavings from cutting the threads. Wix has a good reputation for being a good filter you get at an autoparts store. I run Toyota pretty much for the hell of it. I remember hearing it's not that fine of a filter.

2. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

For a high-mileage 1977 vehicle with oil and coolant consumption issues, consider switching to a 10W-30 oil. Thicker oil like 20W-50 may exacerbate cold start difficulties, especially in 50°F weather. Adding a stabilizer like Lucas can help. However, address potential engine wear, leaks, or other issues causing oil and coolant consumption. Consult your vehicle manual, and if problems persist, a mechanic's evaluation is crucial. Peer experiences can vary, so finding the right balance through experimentation and professional advice may optimize your engine's performance and longevity.