transmission noise?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Burgundy_beater, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Burgundy_beater

Burgundy_beater Newbie

Truck:
    91 2wd 22R
    at least, I think that's what they are. It sounds like a vibration to me, the sound is not as loud as the engine/exhaust but is easy to hear. It kinda sounds like it is coming from towards the front of the truck, but not sure about that.
    It occurs when: the transmission is engaged (pushing in the clutch pedal while the sound is occurring will always stop the noise), the engine is either lugging a bit or I am gently engine breaking (foot off gas/brake coasting in gear downhill). If I avoid these conditions, the truck seems to be running pretty smoothly. I have put about 2K miles on since I got it, and the sound is no worse than when I bought it. Anybody have an idea what I am hearing?

91 RE 2wd 5spd 180K, no service records.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Will it make the sound sitting at idle with the tranny in neutral? If the noise goes away when the clutch is pushed in, it is likely one of the bearings in the tranny. The most likely bearing to go bad is the throw out bearing that engages and disengages the clutch pressure plate.

Not too big a deal to replace, but it requires the removal of the tranny and you might want to consider replacing the clutch and pressure plate since you are there.....

3. Burgundy_beater

Burgundy_beater Newbie

Truck:
    91 2wd 22R
    The sound will sometimes (intermittently) occur at idle, but not (yet?) always. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Yeah, it's entirely possible that the bearing isn't totally gone yet. The noise can come and go until it's really shot. Then you will hear it over everything.

5. Burgundy_beater

Burgundy_beater Newbie

Truck:
    91 2wd 22R
    I really appreciate your input on this. I have not worked on a transmission before, so this is gong to be an experience, heh. I should have the time and money to do this in a few months.

thanks again!