Steering Gear: Rebuild or Replace?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Raymond Fast, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Raymond Fast

Raymond Fast Newbie

Truck:
    1982 Toyota Pickup Delux
    I've got a 1982 Toyota Pickup RWD, 22R, 5-speed. I don't know how many miles she has on her, but based on her age, the odometer reading when I bought her twelve years ago (it was stuck at 173K), and the driving I've done since, I estimate it's between 350K and 400K.

I've got a lot of play in the steering (manual steering - no power). I adjusted the steering gear a couple of years ago and that helped considerably, but it's still not right and starting to get worse again. When I adjusted it, I ran the screw down to where it's nearly bottomed out, so there's effectively no more room for adjustment.

I've checked the whole steering and suspension system for play - drag link, tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, wheel bearings - and it's all tight. The play is all in the steering gear.

So here's my question: Is it likely that just rebuilding the steering gear will fix the problem, or am I looking at complete replacement?

Raymond Fast
    Dallas, GA

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Don’t forgot the pitman arm.
    Unless you’re really good with rebuilding steering gear is makes more sense just to buy a rebuilt steering box. Save your old box for the core charge.

3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Adjusting the box too much can cause the steering to be too sensitive as well and then it just feels like it wanders from side to side going down the road! Try adjusting again to see if you can correct that before dumping money into it.