Shaved Rear Wall

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by mprtftr, Sep 2, 2012.

1. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has shaved the rear wall of their cabs. If so, do you have any pics of the process or links to a thread or article that you can post, even if it's not a Toyota. What I really need to know is where I need to brace the cab before I cut the area out of the rear wall. Any help you guys can give me would be seriously appreciated, so thanks in advance.

2. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    My buddies was just cut out an welded in a piece of sheetmetal. No braces there probably shud have been cause the sheet seemed a little flimsy no pics srry

3. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    I would brace the b pillars together. The cut it out. But you will need to put some beads in it for strength or put a hat chanel on it. That a big flat sheet it will move a lot.

4. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    im just curious here... why do this and what is the benefit? once the bed is back on, no one will really ever see it or notice it.

5. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    @Robert - The main reason is because I really don't want to do a bed box for my stereo and the ribs (bends) on the back wall are pushing the speaker box out too far. I want it to sit flush against the cab rear wall. I have Kenwood Excelon shallow mount 12s, and they only need .8 cu ft of internal volume but the dimensions that it needs are killing me for space. If I can remove the ribs in the rear wall, that will gain me the few centimeters (inch) I need and it will allow me to also make the front of the box one solid piece instead of making two separate boxes, which in turn, should allow me to mount the amps on the front of the box between the subs instead of trying to place them under the seats. I know it seems like A LOT to do for the stereo, but what would a custom truck be without going overboard, right?

6. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    ok, that makes more sense then doing it for looks, which is what i was thinking you were wanting it for. if youre going to go that far for more speaker space, why not push that section of the cab wall back closer to the bed wall? i know there was some hollow space between the 2 walls on my truck under the front rail of the bed.

7. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    My buddy shaved almost everything not visible to the eye on his pup just cause he for one is a perfectionist and for two when you do get that very enthusiastic person looking at your ride whom knows a lot about them they will be like DAMN all thats shaved this guy went the extra mile to make his truck stand out to the pros. I hate those damn ribs on the backwall and will probably do the same thing just to get rid of them. I like my girls shaved too hahahahhahahahah

8. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    @euro - At least now I know you and I share a common interest in how we like our women and trucks...clean shaven. LOL
    @robert - I've thought about that. I checked out an article on MiniTruckin's website where I saw where it looks like a guy with a gold Toy did what you just mentioned about using the negative space between the rear cab wall and the front of the bed area.
    I'm going to be testing my luck trying this on my own so, I'm trying to figure out if I want to push my luck to the fullest. I'm going to take a few more measurements and try to source some sheetmetal first, and then yell Geronimo and take the plunge.

9. EasNitN38

EasNitN38 Member

I built a false wall and wrapped it. Looks great and provides an area to mount an amp to. Was gonna shave it but building a wall was easier and looked just as good

10. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Can you post pics?

11. EasNitN38

EasNitN38 Member

12. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I like tht green haha but I'm gonna agree with euro its all in attention to the small details tht will make your ride stand out in a crowd. Most wont notice it but you will an the few tht do notice will be like damn he took extra steps just for tht an you when cool points haha. Plus shaven is great

13. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    I like the way that looks. I may still end up doing something like that, so hopefully you don't mind me stealing a little of your idea. What kind and size subs did you go with. Post some pics of the final product. In fact, if some of you don't mind, those with a standard cab and sub boxes can you post up some pics of how you installed them? I promise if I go with anything even remotely close to something that may resemble your setup, I'll try and get permission from you first.:lol:

14. eurofreak2002

Truck:
    I dont think you need permission you steal a design unless its copyrighted or registered or pattened hahaha. Remember man you were trying to gain that extra space the ribs take up!!! Building a false wall will just put your sub box in the same spot as having the ribs still there. I've been toying with numerous ideas for my stereo and besides actually building a bedbox I cant figure anything that would work for me ( I like big speakers and big bass) hard to get 2 15's behind seats of a standard cab haha

15. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Euro do a center console. I know you want big bass but check out sundown audio they make an 8" sub tht hits so hard. I'm gonna get some for my ex cab

16. EasNitN38

EasNitN38 Member

I was gonna run subs in the center console but decided not to. Decided to keep the weight down and went went some vibe audio black death 6x9s in custom boxes behind the seats.
    Here's what it looks like finished:
    [​IMG]

17. eurofreak2002

Truck:
    I love the interior work, not a lot of people even bother with the inside of their ride especially to that extent.

Yota4life was thinkin about the Center consle thing but I already got my speakers!!

Mprtftr- its your truck man, Im sure no matter what you end up doing it will look sweeet, its kinda hard to make a toyota look bad....sometimes

18. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Sell em get new ones haha

19. EasNitN38

EasNitN38 Member

Thanks man i appreciate that. When i got the truck it was trashed. My bro in law (toy88yota) can vouche for that. To me it should look just as good on the outside as the inside. I hate seein trucks that have decent body work and ragged out interior that they say they aint gonna do anything with even if its just a clean stock appearance. I took the time to build mine right and the way i wanted to the first time. Not everyone cares for the color i chose but i didnt build the truck for them to enjoy. I built it for me and i like being different than everyone else.

No matter what u choose to do man make sure its what u want and what ur gonna enjoy building. Thats why we like doin what we do to our trucks. Well at least i hope so. Lol

If u need any help dont hesitate to ask. Even if its a wire tuck. Lol. I just finshed that project of funness.

20. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    How about buying a cheap bead roller from harbor freight and using it to add strength to the smoothed wall before you weld it in? the veins/ribs/bump-outs, whatever you call it will be much less pronounced and in the way but will still retain (almost) the structural integrity of the original back wall. Plus, if you get creative, you can roll the bead in a design of some sort and have a smoothed back wall, a custom design and a strong back wall, all in one. Just a thought.