My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks dude. Still got a long way to go but im getting there

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Took a couple weeks away from the truck to get other stuff around the house done and because i was short on welding supplies. But i was able to get in the garage this weekend and finish up the tranny xmember. And i have to say it came out pretty good. It aint pretty or perfect but its under the truck and no one gonna see it but me so who cares. Painted it gloss black but here it is in raw metal[​IMG]

3. Nelson Cabutotan

Nelson Cabutotan Member

Mind if I ask how your modified stock x member looks like? I have a W55 for a 72 rn22 with W55 xmember mounting bracket.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    My buddy had c notch welded up made of 2x3. So i cut out the center section of the OE xmember and cut the notch to fit. I cut a hole off the top and made a template of the mounting holes and done.

i ended up modifying it again a while after that so it wouldnt hand down as far

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Got everything pretty much welded up. Got a few small gussets im adding to the wishbone that need to be welded on and after that il be testing everything. Should be doing that tonight.

Oh and i got a fuel cell on the way too

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  6. Pearce

Pearce Veteran

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Something I thought of after I piped my exhaust out is using the old fuel filler for an exhaust exit. Might be something you can look at doing now.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats actually pretty clever. Im going to be shaving the filler opening tho. My buddy had a miscalculation with the plasma and caught part of the bedside when we were cutting the floor out.

Pearce likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Veteran

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    That sounds like it was a good time.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Lol right? I was like great thats what i get for rushing him

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Got the fuel cell mounted yesterday with the help of one of a friend. Tested everything already just need to figure out the shock mounts and recheck the travel,(sett it up for a bigger wheel/tire combo out back.) Going to cap off the wishbone tubes with some pieces i got in the mail today.
    [​IMG]

RN23CB likes this.
  11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Kind of took this week away from the truck. I did get some stuff cleaned up and ready for future welding or paint but other than that nothing.

I have some new shock bushings on the way as the ones i had on the shocks i had to trim down to fit in the old tabs.

also going to order some new upper shock tabs. The little shorties i have arent going to work.

So while i wait on parts im just cleaning up the garage and airing the truck up and down for no reason other than to see it work. Il be gusseting a few places and adding bracing in a few spots to strengthen it up some over the weekend.