My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Picked up a MSD Street Fire ignition box for cheap a couple weeks ago just need to install it now. Maybe sometime this next week.
    [​IMG]

And heres a few pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dan McBoost likes this.
  3. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    @jetas I mean, did you make the oil pressure and water temp sensor connections, if so what and how? About the gauges, I am wondering which size you went with? 4"? TIA

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I got the 4" gauges and i used the sensors and wiring that Speedhut supplied. A couple of adapter fittings between the sensors and engine and it was done.

Dan McBoost likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Another update! Finally got the MSD Street Fire ignition box installed over the weekend, bad news is i killed the truck. Had it running for a bit while it warmed up, noticed an occasional misfire but nothing i hadnt noticed before. Took it around the block and it was completely bogging out and missing. I luckily made it into the garage.

made some changes, tried some things and still nada. I think my issue may be at the distributor since i verified that i have spark going to it. Idk the age of the cap and rotor on it as i got it used, but im guna be ordering some stuff and hopefully il get this sorted out soon

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Havent ordered shit, i do have another distributor that i pulled the magnetic pickup coil thing from and swapped into my current dizzy. Guna charge ip the battery tonight and see what it does

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Picked up a battery yesterday. Threw it in the truck and nothing. Triple checked the wiring and nothing. Jump started the truck because thats how i got it started the last few times i had messed with it and it fired right up.

had to flip the pickup coil wires because it wouldnt rev past 2k(my mistake) and it Sounds a lot stronger at idle. Took it for a spin and it pulls really nice and the snap crackle pop from the exhaust is definitely a lot louder.

I mounted the box behind the driver side high beam so i pulled that light so the box would get some good air flow. Going to get one of the headlight funnel things the BMW guys use for the intake to clean up the look of it

[​IMG]

Dan McBoost likes this.
  8. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    My truck does that to me too... At times I can only get it to start if I use my other vehicle to jump start it. I'm not sure what the permanent solution is. I was thinking my battery was just shot.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Havent driven it much at all since the install but it starts up fine now, just takes a little more cranking to start.

10. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    I see, so what exactly did you flip? The wire running from the coil to the distributor?

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Flipped the wires from the dizzy to the MSD box, i got it running but it wouldnt rev past 2k and if it did it was very rough. so i flipped them and it ran like normal.

12. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Good read on your progress from start to finish. I remember it was a drive from Moreno valley to Oxnard. Smelled like Onions but great people there. Had a travel position for an air compressor company, had two or three accounts in or near Oxnard. The valley looks great as you come down the pass in the spring memories...

I left California in 2016. Got to come back to collect the rest of my items and search a few bone yards for parts for the 74 Hilux. Got to replace those front drum brakes as an upgrade. Oh well, parts are parts..

jetas likes this.
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thank you. Took me a long time to get it driveable but its been a great learning experience and il be doing a lot more in the future.

honestly there isnt much of an onion smell here anymore. There are many many hemp fields out here now so early morning breezes make it smell amazing out here. Do you know of any hidden gem junkyards out here in CA @74RN22

14. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Imports Only was once an Ecology Auto Parts but I believe they are now known as LKQ Inc. In Fontana 15228 Boyle Avenue (909) 356-1860 (Call them before you make that drive) which is the Cherry Street Exit from the I-10 California Speedway Exit.

My favorites were around Ontario Ca. 2025 South Milliken Avenue (909) 390-5270 just off the 15 South of I-10 and North of the 60 Hwy, Those are the easy ones that i kept flyers from those guys.

i purchased my 1973 Toyota Celica from U-Pick and Save in Pomona 1560 East Mission Blvd (909) 623-6108...

You know you have a 1977 Hilux in your own back yard for sale, Right?

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Il keep those in mind if i go part hunting. And yea ive seen the one for sale. I tried purchasing it from the old man that owned it(original owner) about 7 years ago, he said he wanted to give it to the govt and get $1000 for it, think he realized it was only a deductible and bever went thru with it. That truck is in very rough shape on the outside. Rust has done a number on it. @74RN22

74RN22 likes this.
  16. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    You are speaking of California Rust which is in no way like rust from New York State. At least there is more metal than holes in the panels. Having originally lived in Central New York where a new trucks life span is usually five years of less, If it have been around for 40 years and can still be identified as a vehicle, It is fixable...

Frame is solid at least, I'm a engine guy so exteriors are for those who can breath paint fumes.

I was around too much of these fumes for too many years, I don't like that heated iron spike headache that I get in the center of my skull, when I'm around paint...I can mask up and sand for a while, but fresh paint...Ow!

jetas likes this.
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The rust thing is true, but i have to say a lot of body panels would need to be replaced on that thing tbh. Theyre not worth saving.

i love the smell of paint, i dont sit there and inhale the stuff but passing by the body shop at work i take a nice big breath.

74RN22 likes this.
  18. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    (laughing) By the time I was your age....LOLl

I had been sanding equipment for 11 years in the Air Force as daily or weekly upkeep in Okinawa Japan, where the salt air drips on metal and you can see the the rust run by the end of the raindrop...lol.

Point taken, shortly afterwards, they build a larger paint barn so that we could ship that equipment out to be painted in a controller environment... lost a lot of good boots and uniforms to green paint.

Lost this car due to the rust behind the Vin Id panel, when they tapped the panel during the registration inspection to make sure that nothing had been done to the Vin the whole panels fell in, could not ship this back home again. Had shipped it once to and from to New Jersey.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

repaint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn thats insane. Rust really does do a number on these cars.
    That was a nice celica you had @74RN22

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well after the MSD install for some reason the truck has NOT been happy. Had it running solid for a week, but it seemed down on power. Adjusted the timing drive it around for the day and then the following few days it wouldnt start, cranks fine but wont fire. Air-check, fuel-check, spark-eehhhh not too sure. Ive tried a bunch of shit and NOTHING.

New coil and plug wires on the way, il be messing with it again HOPEFULLY over this weekend. I really miss driving it.

Anyway, heres some old pics that photobucket went and fucked up the links to

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]