My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Oooh fancy!
    Is there anything special regarding getting these gauges to work on our trucks, or is it pretty much just hookup the existing wires?

I'm tired of seeing the "e-brake" light on mine whenever I drive it, and the PO's added pod gauges mounted under the dash just look out of place - having everything in a nice cluster like this would be a good investment for me if it's a simple install.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just running the wiring(Power, ground ignition, and whatever lighting) they include everything with the gauges EXCEPT the fuel level sender.

You can always remove the bulb for the ebrake lol.

But seriously, i had 2 gauges in the factory radio location that im removing because of the quad gauge. They looked really good but out of place so i totally understand where you're coming from

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    can you elaborate on the fuel level sender issue? what did you do to resolve this?

i thought about removing the bulb as well as fixing the sensor on the brake - but I still want fancy gauges ;)

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    @Perkolator My fuel gauge was still incorrect after getting it functioning. At full it was only showing 1/2 on the gauge, at empty it still had about 5 gallons in it. It was literally off by 1/2 a tank but im sure its a gauge issue and not the sender at this point considering i made sure it ready correctly prior to install

And i feel you about having nice gauges, its nice having something nice and functional to look at when youre driving

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    So do you think this has to do with a mis-matched Ohm range of resistance?

The interior is the only nice looking part of my truck right now and it's where we spend our time, so yeah ;)

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    At the gauge yes. Either that or the needle was bent backwards at some point.

I really like the idea if the speedhut fuel gauge being able to self calibrate to whatever you do have

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    A little update. Finally been working on the notch. Got the sides and top put in with the shock crossmember thru the notch sides and welded inside and outside. Going to cut the factory frame over the weekend, cap the underside and get the shock mounts welded up. Gotta get this and some other stuff done before the 31st. Toyotafest crunch is real right now!

Still need to run wiring for the new gauges, set them up along with new turn signal dash indicators, make a new housing for the double din stereo i have and hook up a small amp for my speakers. Hopefully this long weekend is enough to finish up

[​IMG]

Perkolator likes this.
  8. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Wow! Going hard! You're doing the work yourself?

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea bro doing all i can in the garage.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Had to take a forced break from the c-notch today but i was able to start wiring in the new quad gauge. Got the new turn signal indicators and high beam indicator(not in the pic) installed. Its almost ready to go back together

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Notch is damn near done, just need to weld the underside where the notch meets the frame. Next is shock mounts and chop the bed. Got the gauges all wired up just have a few small details before i can put the dash back together.

Got a little excited and i threw the wheels on and set her on the ground. Here are a few pics, dont mind the dirt on the floor, i was scraping crud off the axle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ivey likes this.
  12. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Awesome stuff!! Didn't realize the loss of turn signals if you go to all Speedhut.

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    @KS.ID Speedhut has the option to have the turn signals on the speedo but i didnt get it because i wasnt planning on going with a full speedhut set up.

Dash is all back together and the notch is done and shocks are on. Il be cutting the bed and mounting the bed hopefully tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux

I see, I like your solution though, keeping the original location of the indicators. Also great work on the notch! What shocks are you using now?

Are you taking this to ToyotaFest?

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I believe theyre Monroe MA803 air shocks. Theyre shorter than the ones designed to fit these trucks. Il be buying other shocks a little later when $ permits it.

And yea il be at Toyotafest this saturday

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Some shots if the truck i took and some i found from Toyota Fest this last Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perkolator likes this.
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Small update, got my order from Rockauto in over the weekend. Swapped the Monroe air shocks I had for some KYB Gas-a-just. The ride is definitely a little different. Gotta put some more miles on em to see the actual difference

[​IMG]

Also tinted the back window last week. Il be redoing it, my tinting skills are a little rusty. Looks good from 15ft tho lol

[​IMG]

And finally a night shot of the Speedhut gauges in action
    [​IMG]

18. redman

redman Enthusiast

Lookin Good. Keep up the good work .

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks bro

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Alright so the fuel gauge was still reading incorrectly and i decided to hell with the factory style sending unit (sending unit wasnt reading correct again.) Dropped the tank and measured for the Speedhut sending unit. Hopefully itl be here this week.

Also ordered a trail gear drain plug for the diff to see if it would fit the fill plug and it did (PN 140032-1-KIT) il be ordering another to replace the drain plug hopefully that one is the same.