L43 to W5x swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jetas, Mar 3, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Looking for knowledge on this swap on a early 2nd gen.

From the research ive done ive narrowed it down to I have a L43 (side loader)4spd trans behind the 20R.

Im looking to hopefully do a 5spd swap while I have the engine out getting rebuilt. Im going to be looking mainly for a W58, if i dont come across one il pick up a W55 or W56.

W series are said to be longer than the L series between 4-6 inches (ive seen different numbers, nothing definitive) With that said Obviously il need to modify the trans mount. And along with that il have to shorten the drive shaft correct? Does the L43 bellhousig fit the W series? (if i pull it from a no R series engine)

Will i have to get the slave cylinder and clutch fork from the donor or will the current parts bolt on and work? Can i get a driveshaft from a newer truck and swap it in? Instead of getting mine shortened?(im not sure theres any shops around here that can do it) Cutting the floor for the shifter is no problem, i know il have to do that.

Any other info i need to know? Theres alot of mixed information out there, mainly because alot of what i found was on the 4x4 forums.

Thanks in advance guys

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Anyone?

3. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    I'm doing what I believe to be a W58 in mine. The overall length is almost identical to my 4 speed, so the driveshaft won't have to be shortened, but the trans crossmember needs to be moved a few inches back. Other than that I don't have any info as I won't have enough time to do that much work until the summer (thanks, being a student.) But anything else I find I can post.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Does your 4spd have the shifter mounted on the side of the trans?

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    The W50 is a direct replacement for the L43. Both are 20.8 inches long. Everything will match up on the driveline. Your shifter hole may have to be widened a little bit.
    It is important that you get the shifter handle that came with the W50. No other handle's will work.
    The W50 came OEM in 73-81 Celica's with the 20R. 73-81 corona's w/20R and 76-82 pickup w/20R.

6. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    In that case it must be a W50 that I'm putting in!

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What about a W55? I dont see too many pre-84 trucks at the junkyard around here. So il probably be getting a trams out of something a newer than my truck

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You could do that but W55 and all mid 80's and up are 25.5 inches long, both 4 speed and 5 speed.
    This will involve fabrication and driveshaft modifications.
    Try finding a Celica or Corona that has the 5 speed. Most truck people don't realize these transmissions will work. You might get lucky.
    Remember, the transmission alone will not work unless you have the correct shifter.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Im planning on pulling a complete trans. Crossmember, shifter, fork, slave and all that crap. Im just looking to see whos done what and what was needed. I want decent accelaration and good freeway RPMs. Im going to be running a 195/55/15 so tiny tire = high freeway RPM

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I'd assume you can make anything work really as long as you get the whole trans with all accompanying parts. All those Toyota trans work because they all bolt up to the 20/22r series of engines since they're so similar.

Stock slave cylinder might work fine, crossmember and mount will have to be done as will driveline of course. Perhaps you can pull a used driveshaft off another truck that's the right length?

There's a transmission listing that shows up here on TM when you search trans info. Most of the 5spd trans 5th gear ratios seem pretty close to me?

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I guess i was looking for something too specific. Im honestly not worried about modifying or fabricating anything. But i figured if anyone had already done the swap i could pick their brains.

12. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    Yes it does

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I hadnt even considered the W50 but the gear ratios are pretty close to the W58. Im going to have to keep my eyes peeled at the junky

14. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    If I can get the freaking time to remove it and drop in the W58, i'll have a w50 available. roughly 230k miles on it. Shipping from TX might not be fun though (~$125).

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Eeek thats a pretty penny on top of the $ for the trans itself lol

16. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    eh, it's a w50, it's not worth much to me. besides, I still gotta drop it and swap it. you could be waiting a few weeks or more depending on how much work eats of my time
    :lol:

17. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    In my 77 I had an L43 that I blew up doing burnouts and drag racin:waytogo: with which I swapped a w55. Drive shaft was perfect length, but the mount had to be changed.

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats an answer im happy to see lol. Do you remember how much you had to mod the mount?

19. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    When I dI'd it I was under the assumption from everything I had seen it would have to be shortened like an inch.. didnt even try it and towed it down to the driveline shop and got a call saying "uhhh it fits perfectly.."

I simply cut the old little mounting boss off the crossmember, shimmed the trans off the crossmember and welded on some uprights and used little rubber donuts for the mounts.. I just used 2 bolt holes that were in the same spot on both sides. I would've sold mounted it, but rubber motor mounts with solid trans mount can be bad news.

It was kinda ghetto fabbed, but was 100% functional.

jetas likes this.
  20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well that gives me something to go off of. Thank you for that