Initial Startup Steps

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Smugmetal, Aug 12, 2019.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Theres a pdf somewhere showing how to adjust the choke. Had to do that to mine in order for it to run right

2. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Thanks I'll take a look. Probably something in one of the manuals I have too

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Asian carbs are a bi..h to rebuild. The kit is cheap, but there’s so many small parts that need to go in “just right” or your just wasting time. I switched to a Weber 32/36 with electric choke. Bypassing the water choke all together. Very simple “plug&play”.

4. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Ah okay. In that case I will probably forego the rebuild. I was planning on switching to a Weber next year anyway. As it is I only have about two months left to drive it before I have to put it away for the winter.

I actually got it running and drove it around my neighborhood this past weekend. I soaked the carb Friday night and that freed up the choke and cleaned it out a bit. The only thing is it still wants to die while idling until it's warmed up. I ran out of time and didn't verify the timing, but that'll be my next step and then play around with the set screws on the carb.

Clay likes this.
  5. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    Glad you are making progress

6. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Got it running better over the weekend and drove it to work today. I was a gear off on the dizzy and the timing was about 10degrees advanced. Thing starts right up and idles and drives great. It occasionally diesels when I turn it off, though. From reading a bit about it, sounds like it could be the AAP or my idle being too high. Hard to tell just how high the idle is. Installing a tach is on the list. Either way, just happy to be driving it again after 14 months of it being broken.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Glad you figured it out