Here we go! New project time.

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Shoosty, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

Just got this beast. Heres what I know.

-1984 with an 82 bed (frame is 9/10)
    -rebuilt 22r from yota 1 (i guess they rebuild toyota engines.)
    -holley sniper efi
    -35s and idk how much lift.
    -straight axle in front, welded diff in rear (getting that changed)
    -winch (idk my friend said its really good)

Engine was ticking pretty hard untill I fixed an exhaust leak from the header gasket and did a valve adjustment. Runs great but I still dont trust it. So having it taken to a guy who knows 22r's better than I ever will. If the engine checks out then ill be taking it to a gear shop to get the rear diff fixed up. Still new to offroad stuff but I think ill be getting some sort of locker. Front diff already has a good set up. Might get coilovers and ditch the front leafs.

Then body work in may when its nicer out. Never done any bondo or welding but its time to learn!

trk1.PNG trk2.PNG trk3.PNG

Ivey likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats thing looks awesome.

need more details on the holley setup tho!

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome aboard

4. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

well god damn guys. aluminum shavings in the oil... what would you guys do if you were me?
    my buddy wants to help LS swap it. i have offers to sell it already for what i paid for it. maybe its just like a cam shaft rubbing against something and a new head and cam would fix it?

i will be taking any and all advice.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Is the timing cover scraped up by the timing chain?

6. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

i can see that if i pop off the valve cover right? it is a metal timing chain guide that someone suggested could be some of the noise.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yes

8. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Aluminum shavings? have they passed the magnet test? If so, then yeah, there are few places aluminum can come from: timing cover and head.

please please please exhaust every option before considering an LS swap! just for safe measure, I'll add another please.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Rebuild it for boost and e85!

10. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

Working on it next day off. I think the holley sniper is running to rich and causing the piston to rub. anyways the guys at yota 1 had alot of good info and said they were happy to sit on the phone when i do work to it.

Ill get the holley running right, do some oil changes and see if there is more metal. i think that might do it.

11. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

Update:
    -remounted a brand new fuel pump in the right spot and it no longer screams like a demon or running super rich
    -new plugs and o2 sensor cuz screw it

holley seems to be doing the right thing. took it wheelin. gonna do weekly oil changes to see if i can keep finding metal shavings. maybe this 22r will last for a while even with the 2000 miles of running rich AF and having pistons rub.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  12. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

Update - buying a 1986 pickup 4x4 with a 1uzfe swapped in. also picking up a R150F tranny with t case. picking parts off the 85 (suspension/solid front axle, tires) to put into it. then getting the 85 running/driving and selling it cheap unless i build up confidence to rip this bitch open and find out what is making all the metal shavings.

did a little 4x4ing with the 22r and its not fun to drive on the road up to the trails. its amazing in 4x4 low, but 2h or 2l its doggin up the the road on the 35s. not fun at all to drive. so that was a wake up that i need more power. i want to be able to drive the whole rockies on 170 to moab.

(meanwhile my lowered 94 putts along and gets compliments everyday)

Erwin Merida likes this.
  13. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Nice come up! 1uz with mild cams and a decent ecu.. endless fun. Vvti or non vvti?

14. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

Non vvti out of a 93 sc400.

non vvti
    has to have stock ecu for being street legal in colorado. thats fine tho. some 31s or 33 road tires/wheels and the 1uz will get me over the rockies and back. then swap to the trail tires when there.

getting the tranny and parts to install it next week. also met a guy who is going to help me finish off the wiring and get it running, as i suck with wires.

trying to sell the black 85. i dont want to pull the timing cover off. not sure whats causing the aluminum shavings and im over how weak the 22r is on 35s. 1uz stock as fuck will be reliable decent power.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  15. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    That works too! Non modified uz will still net you double the power and torque. I've owned bigger 6 cylinders, yet the 4.0 still out powers and performs(mpg) better and it was wallet friendly. NWOR sells hard mounts for it, and adapter plates are becoming even more adaptable to different gearboxes. Also, dropping the iron 22re, and picking up that all aluminium 4.0 only nets you 40/50 lbs up front.. can't get better than that.. comes in handy when going vertical!! Hahaha