Future sound system plans

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by ToxicToyz, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Yotaforce

Yotaforce Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 xcab
    My brother has two sundown V.1s that he bough about a month ago and he built his own ported dbox for his 4runner. Everyone that hears them thinks that theyre 12s. Don't get caught up in the bigger is better scene, i used to have 2 15's, yeah they were loud, but the box matters more than most people think, that's why when i do mine, i'm ordering a box design from PWK. This guy is an acoustic engineer that will build you a box perfect (and loud) for your truck. His website> http://pwkdesigns.com/
    And a video to show you that boxes matter> "Are You Fuckin' Shitting Me?" - YouTube

Although, i'm sure something is better than nothing.

2. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    Box design is everything indeed. 4th order. 6th order. Simple slot port. Aero ports. Deoends on you and the space alotted.

3. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    After watching this vid it convinced me to get a small sub, 6.5" or 8". Went looking for cheap subs and found the rockford P-1's. Anyone familiar with these subs? Do you think it can hit as hard as that hybrid audio 6.5's??

4. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    Also looking into a jl w3v3 since the box can be really smal at .15 cubic feet. Just dont know if it will hit as hard as i want it to. Looking to give some compitition to 12's and 15's.

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The thing to remember with PWK or anyone else, is that the box design is 90% of the output of the sub/enclosure combo. That enclosure he's showing in the vid is a T-line, and while it is efficient at that particular frequency and above, the excursion will go out at lower frequencies possibly causing damage to the driver or amp.

6. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    And he's very good at what he does. As with all enclosure design there is no perfect setup. You have to give some here to get some there. It's all trade offs.

7. Yotaforce

Yotaforce Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 xcab
    Hybrid is very high quality, according to anyone that uses them, but Rockford is the best mainstream brand imho. I have a refurbished p500.2 that my brother has had for years, and i bought it off him because the thing is pretty well impossibly to break.

But Litneon is right, it's always a trade off, you want sound quality, you're not gonna get it with a ported or t-line box, you go sealed. If you want really low stuff with the smaller subs youre gonna have to get a lot of power behind them to do it. The larger subs do better with lower frequency. Although i will stand by saying that the Sundown 8's are more than enough. I'm going to be getting some sooner or later, and i will be nearly doubling the power that my brother runs his on.

8. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    So since we all agreeded thAt bigger isnt better, what do yall think of JL audio's 6.5 w3v3 subs. Only .15 cubic feet sealed box, 150 rms, $160. I know ill get good acurate bass but will it be boomy enough?? Orwod an 8" be better

9. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    And can i get a list of the top 5 sub brands in your own opinion

10. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    I know this topic is a couple months old, but just in case you haven't fully decided on a sub yet, have you given any thought to some of the shallow mount subs available from Pioneer, Rockford, etc? Some of those subs only need about 3 - 5 inches mounting depth. I'm looking at the some of those now.

11. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Ok, I'll throw my hat into this debate. I cut my teeth on car stereo back in the mid to late 80's. back then, woofer options were simple: if you wanted more power, you bought a bigger speaker. That doesn't necessessarily hold true anymore as you can now buy 6 inch "sub woofers" with the power handling of a 15 inch sub and the "big daddy" subs: The 18 inch is almost unheard of today, except for huge, over the top competition systems and most mainstream companies don't even make them anymore.
    I know that the audio industry and especially the car audio industry has inproved in leaps and bounds in the last couple of decades. Box design, port shape, length and width has done wonders to make those little speakers act and sound like and sound better than the big boys from back in the day.
    That being said: There's a saying in the hot rodding world that I still believe applies to the world of speakers as well:
    "There's no replacement, for displacement."
    Yes, I've had arguments about this before with other audio enthusiasts, but I firmly believe that a small sub just can't make the sound that a larger sub can. A small sub just doesn't have the surface area on the cone to generate the low notes that a larger sub can with everything else being equal (optimum enclosure for the speaker, optimum power supplied, xmax ect.)
    Before you decide on a set of 6.5's, my advice would be to go to a place where you can listen to the different sizes of subs and compare them one right after another.
    If you want "boom", you may be happier with a larger shallow mount speaker than a smaller sized one, even if the smaller one looks better on paper.

As for brands, I'm a Rockford Fosgate guy, but you'll find just as many people that don't like them or like another brand better. Its all up to personal taste and brand loyalty.

All that being said. how about an 8 or a 10 in your center console in a "band-pass" style configuration? The sub could either be showcased with plexi-glass or "hide" between the seats and not be shown at all.
    Just my two cents.

12. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

Any pics? A lot of Jib Jabbing but i dont see any pics