For those that did the "Body Swaps"...

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by mprtftr, May 24, 2011.

1. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    I see in some of your build threads that the body mounts have to be moved from the 4Runner frame to the 2WD frame. And in a couple of them, I've read that the frame has to be cut to fit the 4Runner body on the 2WD frame. But what I don't see is how hard is it to rewire everything so that it all works as it should. I'm interested in doing this swap for a number of reasons but I want to make sure it's something my friends and I can handle once the body has been switched over. Did you guys reuse the wiring harness from the 4Runner? Did you reuse the harness from the Pickup? Or did you combine the two harnesses and if so where should I look to connect them together? Any and all info is helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. toylowta

toylowta Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    If you use a single cab short bed frame you don't have to cut the frame. An I have a 22re 5 speed in my runner. It was originally a v6 auto 4x4. The only wiring that I used was the motor wiring. It plugs all up. The only thing that doesn't work on mine is the speedo an that's cuz mine was originally by cable. So I have to change mine to cable. An my a/c does not work I have to figure out what's with that

3. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body
    For mine the body harness on the 4runner was kept. but my engine harness is a hybrid of the supra and 22re as i had the motor originally in my truck first.

Just take your time and make sure you get the electrical diagrams of the two vehicles you are using. I hate wiring but for some people it comes natural. I'm sure my ADHD doesn't help.

I can say that Toyota made it simple and kept a lot of harness/plugs identical. Also learn how to re-pin the plug instead of cutting/splicing into the harness. As I found out the plugs are the same but the pin positions where just different. Makes for a cleaner swap. i've gotta a lot of compliments on how clean the wiring is. I give thanks to my buddies for that...

4. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Thanks a lot for the info guys. You've helped a lot. Now all I have to do is find my 4Runner body now.