for all the turbo guys, blow off valves ?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by V8_TITAN, Jan 27, 2009.

1. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    yeah well guys if it were up to me, I would not be rocking this setup... I scored it for free and its a lot better then my POS stock motor that never ran either. If I had the time, money, or skills to dump into this I would but I dont so I cant.

other then telling me I should run a blow through setup with efi and shiz is there anyone out there who knows for a fact that this blow off valve will NOT work for the setup I am currently running ? either way im leaving my house in 10 mins to go get it welded on.

2. blazinrola80

blazinrola80 Member

good luck.. holley 4bbl dosnt really cost much.. 150 top hat 400 carb weld a plate onto you intake.. call it a day.. runn a open bov.. to me running a bov on your suck threw set up even tho i can bearly see it, is not safe.. good luck getting a vac pressure.. in a normal turbo system.. you have the bov placed be for the throttle plate.. and you get the vaccume for absolute pressure after the plate.. so when it closes it will open the bov thus releasing presurised air...

sorry if my criteria isnt sufficient.. but i build turbo cars for a living.. not just modify factory turbo ones..

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    its cool man, Im not saying you dont know your stuff. Just a little tired of people telling me I need to ditch this set-up...its not an option for me...

but since you know your stuff, where can I put the BOV ? or at least where can I put the vacum line to trigger it ? I already dropped it off at united speedway to get welded onto my intake. also can you exaplain a little what your talking about in the post before ?

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    nobodys telling you to ditch the setup.

all anybody is saying is its a bad idea to vent presurized gas into a hot eng bay

so with a recirculating system it might work, but a carb has no way to cope with the sudden "richening" a recirculating BOV would do to your system. so it may cause more harm then good.

if you absolutly have to have a bov plumb a exhaust pipe for it away from the motor. then you lessen the chance of a built in flame thrower.

or you could have a coil triggered by the BOV somehow that lights a spark plug in the BOV exhaust and have a actuall flame thrower.

5. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I was thinking about doin that seriously lol.. having like a small pipe coming out of my hood and set it up every time I let off the gas it lights it lol.. so I get a flame spray from my hood

6. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    if you put a bov on a suck through system you will die! end of story

7. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    man i need to start readin the dates of these threads im postin on total newb moment

8. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    MmmHmm... ;)

9. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    You just made my sig for your noobness

10. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    oh dear even have a suck though with inter cooler will cause pooling of gas in the inter cooler

turly bov and that idea alone is umm not very smart

all explain it really simple on ways to do it with a carb

suck through

run a fuel chiller line aka a fuel cooler

turbo sucks in gas witch cools down the charge (cheep) easy to tune the trubo will pull the fuel right out of the carb

draw though

have to run inter cooler to cool down charge able to run bov harder to tune but can be tuned for better fuel mileage
    you are able to run map box ing from msd like the 6al2 with boost reff runs a gm 3 bar map much more reliable then just locked weights ect

i cna go on for hours but ya

11. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Draw/suck through turbo is different than blow through, do a google search at least.

A blow through turbo requires a blow of valve because pressure builds between the compressor and throttle vavle when closed, therefore a blow off vavle relieves the pressure when throttle vavle closes. A blow through can allow a air to air intercooler also because its just air thats going through, no air/fuel mix.

In a draw/suck through, you dont need a blow off vavle because there is no throttle valve between the motor and compressor to build pressure, the excess pressure goes into the motor and the pressure lowers as the throttle valve in front of compressor inlet closes.

If you put a blow off valve on a draw/suck through, you will vent out air/fuel which could could ignite, if you use a air to air intercooler, you will just be storing air/fuel mixture into a tank which can also be explosive, you can use a air/water straight pipe cooler however.

I sugguest doing a little more research on the two different set ups.
    Both are good in my opinion, i will be making a attempt to do a draw through on my trucks 8rc in the future.