Excellent Engine and 5Spd Trans for Sale Southern Cal

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Wayne Harropson, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Wayne Harropson

Wayne Harropson Newbie

This is a 22R engine with a 20R head, (carbureted), a hybrid that is a highly prized combo among hobbyists. The 5-speed transmission is excellent. Pride of ownership. Bought the truck new 43 years ago and planned to be buried with it, but that didn't work out. https://tinyurl.com/Speeds43YrTrk (Post on Craig's List)

I could not have been running better when it was hit. The tranny has a fresh front seal, Engine has a new clutch, new head gasket, fresh rear main seal, and valve seals, tight intake and exhaust. IT DOESN'T LEAK! I removed the copper head shim put in place to keep the compression down when the 22R/20R hybrid was built. The 22R single-row timing chain was upgraded to the superior 20R two-row chain and the chain guides upgraded from plastic to steel. I can feel the compression increase from having removed the .020 copper shim.. It passed CARB smog recently with results that were half of the average. Not half of Max, HALF OF THE AVERAGE! I'd like to sell the whole kit'n caboodle to some lucky hobbyist that can pick it up in Southern California. Available May 5 2023. Make me an offer. I'll publish more pics after it's out of the truck. Could not have run better when the truck got totaled. Hoping to get a buyer to take the whole thing before I start parting things out. I need $2300 but will entertain offers by serious lookers. It comes with two original ignitors, one for backup. They're rare and amazingly enduring. Also comes with an extra new voltage regulator and lots of other goodies I've collected and no longer will need. You will need an alternator, the case was cracked by the steering gear. Amazingly the radiator was tweaked by the plastic fan blade but still doesn't leak.
    I'm keeping the bed, tool boxes and the duallys drivelines to be used on a 98 stretched Tacoma. The pretty picture is before I was pit-maneuvered by a hit-and-run on the 57 at 65 mph.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  2. Wayne Harropson

Wayne Harropson Newbie

I should also say that it's been more of a hobby than a work truck since 2008. Do I need to explain? It was not unusual to have spider webs from the chassis to the driveway since then.