Disc swap or replace current brakes?

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by THorn, Dec 15, 2020.

1. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Yeah, it may actually be modified. I think that could be the unknown variable in the left side tie rods. There doesn’t seem to be any performance consequence to it, but the left tie rod format is not exactly what I expected after studying diagrams. It’s almost like it’s got a right side tie rod end on the left. I’m still figuring it out. That’s something I need to settle along with the knuckle replacement.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  2. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    WOW!! I had no idea you had that swap under the hood. You definitely need some decent stopping power with that V6!

THorn likes this.
  3. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Yes, brake upgrade is so very necessary. The exceptionally rainy winter here has impressed upon me the shortcomings of wet drums.

That 3.4 is one reason I like it to have the unassuming no-flash stock aesthetic. It's a sleeper until that right occasion comes along to let the horses run. Quite a far leap from an 18R...

4. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Ooooooh, I just thought of something while I was ordering brake line fittings. I had flaked on this until I was looking for adapters for the prop valve, but I wonder these might need to be 37deg invert flares? ...or is that just Miatas? I'd need another die and cone for my flaring tool I think. Can anybody verify that it's 45deg?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020