Dash lights out.....all fuses good..???

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Rmally, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Rmally

Rmally Newbie

Truck:
    1990 Regular cab 4x4
    Well,

When it rains it pours.....first my door latch goes out and now tonight I have no dash lights. I checked all the fuses and they are good, what would be my next step.

You can turn the dimmer switch both ways and nothing, also when you turn the light switch one click, not only do I not have dash lights, but the parking lights don't come on either (if they are supposed too, I wasn't 100%).

QUICK EDIT.......Just realized the tail lights were out and checked that fuse, it was blown. I put in another 15 and as soon as I turn the switch the fuse blows right away. I did put in a new radio this weekend, and it went smooth and all wires seemed to be in place, but it would seem I did something wrong......any ideas?

Thanks,

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    well, you obviously have a short somewhere, i would start in the last place you were working on..i guess that means your radio

3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    plus 2 on that short... get a test light...

4. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    check your connectors...

Since you dealt with the radio, I'm gonna guess you took your dash off.

If you took your dash off, you probably disconnected the hazard switch and dimmer switch to get the dash off.

My guess is one of those connectors did not get reconnected and are probably touching something causing the short.

Good luck

5. Rmally

Rmally Newbie

Truck:
    1990 Regular cab 4x4
    Guys,

Thanks for the help. I took everything back out today and sure enough one of the wires had come loose from the plastic end cap. Went out and bought the better crimp on connectors, so hopefully that won't happen again.

6. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    Nice

So which one was it?

7. Rmally

Rmally Newbie

Truck:
    1990 Regular cab 4x4
    Forgive the non mechanic terminology......It was the "always hot wire" I'm assuming that's what keeps the radio stations in memory. It was probably over kill but I added a 5amp fuse to it in case it ever comes loose again.