Coolant Hose Routing Qs

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by HattedToast, Feb 26, 2020.

1. HattedToast

HattedToast Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    I’ve tried all over other forums and here (obviously) to find out where a couple of coolant hoses are routed after doing a desmog but haven’t found what I’m looking for. So I’m back here to start another thread haha.

I reinstalled the PAIR/Reed valve because I thought that was the only way to keep the heater core functioning. And now it’s just sitting there and I’m unsure if it is related to keeping heat in the cabin. As well as the coolant port on the top rear of the intake manifold.

The hose coming from the firewall goes to the rear of the timing cover on the passenger side.

So I guess my only question is can I just route a hose from the PAIR/Reed valve to the top of the intake manifold port? Or is that not going to circulate coolant properly throughout the engine?

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    [​IMG]

HattedToast likes this.
  3. HattedToast

HattedToast Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Thank you again jetas. I have that picture but does the reed valve line connect to the OE carb? I just couldn't tell in the picture.

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    If you’re desmoging you don’t need the reed valve. The nipple coming out of the head between #2/3 intake runner connects directly to the passenger firewall. The nipple from the intake manifold you want to use a short piece of heater hose, loop around the carburetor and secure to the return pipe that runs under the intake manifold and returns to the water pump.
    Failure to do this can result in an air bubble getting caught inside the intake manifold water passages causing the thermostat to malfunction.
    Your heater should work fine. If no heat, it could be a plugged core.

HattedToast likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I actually removed the valve under the intake manifold and used a 90° barb fitting and hose from there to the heater core. And then from the heater core to the back passenger side of the water pump. The passage between number 2 and 3 cylinders i blocked off. I highly recommend pulling the heater out and running water thru it with the garden hose, all kinds of shit came out of mine when i did that and its been fine ever since

HattedToast likes this.
  6. HattedToast

HattedToast Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Thanks for explaining the routing, sometimes the diagrams are hard to see with all the stuff there. Ill work on routing them tomorrow.

7. HattedToast

HattedToast Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Cool, I just wanted to see how other people routed the lines. And I for sure need to clean out the heater. I’m sure it’s worse than what I would expect. Thanks

jetas likes this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I hear you, took me a little while to decide how to get it done

HattedToast likes this.