Cant decide on xtra cab or not and 4th gen or 5th gen

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by MeVito, Nov 29, 2015.

1. MeVito

MeVito Newbie

Puzzled on what to get there's too many options for pickup body.

My current options, they all without 4WD:

• 4th gen regular cab, small bed
      Pros
      - because of its small wheel base advantage for off-road.
      Cons
      - no extra space inside cabin

• 4th gen extra cab, long bed
      Pros
      - extra 6" storage behind driver seat (not that much is it?)
      Cons
      - adds 20" to wheelbase
      - cost little more

• 5th gen extra cab, long bed
      Pros
      - larger extended storage area
      - car look more modern thanks to xtra cab, in addition to new grille and fenders
      - less metal fatigue and rust
      Cons
      -adds 20" to wheelbase
      -cost significantly more
      - somewhat rare

Practicality is more important than looks in my case. I always drove sedan in the past so not sure how it be without trunk, i don't want to regret my choice later.

1. How much space you get out of xtra cab in 5th gen, do optional drop down seats fit adult or just for children?

2. Out of your experience does extra cab helps? Is not like good idea to leave your tools or other valuables in the truck overnight so i wonder what you use extra area for?

3. Would installing crossover truck box in the bed compensate for not having xtra cab?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    Get an extended cab. The extra space in the cab will always come in handy for out of the weather storage, no matter what you are doing. I wouldn't plan on putting adults back there unless you don't like them, and want them to hate you after.
    If you plan to off road in the truck, the extra wheel base is not going to hurt you any and depending of what type of off roading you are doing, it will help on high speed stability. I wish I would have held out for an extended cab when I was looking for trucks.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I had a 5th gen xcab short bed followed by a hardbody regular cab long bed. I prefer the xcab hands down. The bed is good but isnt always good for keeping stuff concealed from public view. Plus it helped for carrying one extra adult sized person.

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The 5th gens are much less prone to rust too.

My vote, 5th gen xtra cab.

5. MeVito

MeVito Newbie

As fram is independent from cab, would i be able to throw Xtra cab 4th or 5th gen on regular short frame reliably anyone tried that?

Then altering bed that sticks out 6 inch should not be a big deal.

Its not much about wheelbase its just around $1000 i cannot find no xtracab that isn't falling apart and some nice regular cab options.

I don't see stock option like this, was it aftermarket mod?

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Short bed=regular length bed. And the ex cab has a longer frame. Maybe it would work with a long bed frame who knows, not really worth the hassle. Just wait til you find one. Theyre still out there.

What city are you in?

7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Yup. The Extra Cab/short bed is basically a standard cab/long bed frame with a short bed and extended cab. But the cab and bed mounting brackets are located at different points so they are not exactly PNP interchangeable.

I couldn't afford an Extra Cab at the time so my solution for a lockable trunk was to install a cross-bed box. If you get one, make sure you get an aluminum one; they are only about $250.

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yes, there have been many people to stick an xcab onto a single cab frame, it looks kinda cool and different. The back of the cab comes pretty close to the rear axle, similar to how a tacoma 4dr interacts with a short bed. If you have oversized tires then the rear tires can end up REALLY close to the cab, so some end up tubbing the rear corners of the cab for clearance.

I don't think you're going to find xcab + longbed + 4wd in either generation -- it is super rare and I only thought it existed in 2wd until I saw pics this year of a stock 4wd one.

I used to have a 4th gen xcab/22re-turbo/5spd/4wd and now I've got a 5th gen xcab/22re/5spd/4wd. The 4th gen xcab does not have real seats in the back, it has a platform and though I used to sit there as a kid in my dad's truck, it does not have seat belts or a real "seat" - so technically illegal with current laws. The 5th gen xcab does have actual slip down jumper seats in the back with seatbelts. I suppose if you have an automatic trans then it's possible to drive with an adult behind the driver, but I tried it once before and it was less than desirable since I normally drive with my seat all the way back for leg room.

Personally I vote 5th gen xcab since it's what I have. It took me 6 months to find my truck after looking at CL every few days for the exact combo I wanted. I absolutely had to have an xcab with 4wd, the 22re and a 5spd. I ended up putting up a wanted ad after giving up searching, then 2 days later I found my truck. Personally I think the 92/93 is the best year because the grille got switched up slightly and it's before the 94 got that funky 3rd brake light addition on top.

In regards to wheeling - I like the xcab wheelbase for climbing over stuff since it's longer and more stable. the downside is lower breakover angle/more high centering. also there is the increased turning radius which is what I suppose I notice the biggest difference on the trail compared to a single cab or 4runner.