Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Justin Danger, Aug 14, 2016.
Hood release is like a bike brake cable
Totally, I'm actually a part time bike mechanic so I wonder if it is fixable. The retainer end cap on the latch end came off, so pulling the lever in the cab just moves the cable and housing together.
After dealing with that gas tank I'm ready for something easy!
I added a reservoir for windshield washer fluid, "smooth is fast".
I also went back to my old AFM. I was getting too much air flow and reaching fuel cut on my ECU. I thoroughly cleaned the hoses and painted the parts.
Took a 60 mile drive today, things felt pretty good. I drove up to Skyline ridge on the peninsula and cruised along for a while. I was heating up pretty hot on the drive up the hillside, but that was the only heat issue I had the whole drive. Temps were getting close to 212F with both fans on. Nothing boiled over or anything, so it was all fine.
Driving along Skyline was pretty sweet, lots of beautiful views.
Not dying on this drive, go away vultures!
The worst problem I had was while driving on the highway. At speeds over 60mph the whole engine started surging. The ARFs were oscilating, and it felt like I was stomping my foot on and off the gas repeatedly. I only drove 1 exit like that, and got off and drove under 60mph the rest of the drive.
Did some interior work.
The other day I did some "recalibrating" on my boost gauge and ended up busting it, so I decided to reconsider my gauges.
I ended up ordering a couple digital display gauges for temp and boost that are on their way. Instead of the wood panel to the left of the main cluster, and jenky wooden thing I had on top of my dash for the excess gauges, I decided to integrate them into the dash itself. For this, I sacrificed the center air vents, and installed a hot rod style finned aluminum gauge mount. In place of the gauge that was on the left, I just made an aluminum cover panel.
I've had an exhaust tip laying around for a while now, I got it for my new exhaust system but was fond of the round raw pipe sticking out at first. Now I'm reconsidering.
It is a black double slant for a charger or something. Any thoughts? I could also angle the ends so they are parallel with the body line.
Went for another drive today, golly was it hot. 98 degrees at the top of Skyline, but a beautiful drive none the less. I stopped at one point to get a nice view of the bay and some pictures.
I reinstalled my door panels a couple days ago
New digital boos gauge is installed, just need to fit it into the bezel better. One thing that I really likeabout this one is that I can cha ge the color and brightness when i turn the lights on. I chose a turquoise to match my wideband for daylight, andswitch to amber to match the rest of the dash lights when they come on.
The new temp gauge comes in Monday, same line of gauges, so i can synchronize the color change.
I'm doing some repair work on my horn button as well. It floats on the spring in the center, and should have three tabs sticking out to hold it in, but one broke, so I will try to use some sculpting epoxy to make a new tab.
Loved finding this!
Oh what a feeling indeed, grrrrrr hahaha.
I started a new job and have been spending more time driving the truck than working on it. I do plan to work on the rear suspension today. I've got a couple 1" block to install in the rear to level things out. I am worried that the shocks that I am running are too soft and that my axle will get a little to intimate with the frame, so I might put the coiled shocks back on only in the rear.
I also finished fitting the gauges in the dash, and they look so nice! I'll try to get a pic of that up too.
So here are the gauges all cleaned up. The temp is in Celsius, but thats alright. ( a lavender plant grows in my yard right outside the passenger's side door, so I usually get to have a natural air freshener going on!)
These gauges come with an alarm I can set for certain points, so I set the boost gauge to beep at 10psi, and I set the temp gauge to beep at 100*. I have my e-fans on a manual switch, and sometimes don't pay the best atgention, so I figure 100* will let me know when I've slacked off on turning the fans on.
I also made a little plaque for the grille, had no idea how much of a difference it would make.
I finished the rear suspension work earlier, and was so disappointed in the rear shocks when I removed them. I was comparing compressed lengths of them to my Monroes by clamping down on them with a ratchet strap. The compressed length was just what I expected, but when I took the strap off, they expanded halfway, then froze. I don't want my shocks freezing halfway through travel!
I reinstalled the Monroes that have a coil built in and figured that would help prevent bottoming out on my frame and get rid of those POS Gabriels. The spring assisted shocks plus 1" drop blocks ended up in losing only about half on inch of height in the back. Half an inch isn't much, but it definitely looks better. Time will tell how it handles.
Took the scenic route through the mountains after work today to grab a couple cold brews and a good burger at the ol' new Alpine Inn.
Separate names with a comma.