1. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Got a chance to make it through the first page of ur thead; and skimed the last few. U've made a lot of improvements to your truck..looks really good; I could kinda tell it was a hot rod! When you do paint it again remember "red rips!" :) (white is a great color, but just like stickers add hp red=sportscar)

Neat truck; look forward to updates!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Aaaaaaand it is a PASS! engine runs like shit at spec timing, 5 degree btdc, so i don't know how that hapenned. back to a comfortable 8 degree now

jetas likes this.
  3. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

8° advanced huh, is that a turbo truck thing? I just set my timing; thought I read it as 0° and that's where I set mine. Tho my Mazda has the timing advanced, and now runs premium. (*Edit* I see! ↓↓↓)

Good work; I know how beating the sniffer goes!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    yeah, 8 helps because of the higher air pressures in the chamber from the turbo

5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I had noticed some rust accumulating on my battery tray and hotpipe, so i decided to polish them off, primer, and paint. I used some really amazing paint that did a wonderful job... I just wish that I didn't pick gold as a color. I totally should have just gone with a silver or something.
    20200121_114508.jpg
    20200122_114215.jpg

I also installed my new gas pedal. The Billet pedal as I bough it has screws that would come from the engine side of the firewall to the interior, which was a pretty poor design because it meant that I needed to be holding the pedal in the right place in fhe car AND screw in with the screws in the engine bay. I don't have 8 foot arms and 2 elbows, so i threw some studs in the pedal assebmy, and a nut from the engine bay. easy. Peadal has great feel and response.
    20200122_135301.jpg

_Quickfox likes this.
  6. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Sweet pedal; I think the gold looks great! Maybe the pedal was designed BY robots FOR robots who knows..they got eight foot arms AND so many elbows :)

74RN22 likes this.
  7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Was out of town the other day, and snapped some shots of the truck
    Curbside012020sm.jpg

Curbside022020sm.jpg

Curbside032020sm.jpg

I finally got some paint on a couple new doors I have. I just need to find the time and effort to wet sand them down.

New tires are also on the way. I'm going from 205/65R15s down to 195/60R15s.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    _Quickfox likes this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Still like the round headlights on it

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I really like the round headlights too, have wanted to do that to my 93 for a while

The new gas pedal looks good too - but looks like you've got a 3rd pedal missing to compliment all this work you've been doing :nana:

10. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Hey, that's not nice Perk..and after the effort the mans put in the slushy one. On the other hand JD, those headlights..ahh just messin with you.

Good to see the progress, didn't notice the brown roof before; looks great, always luv a two-tone!

-Aaron

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Turbo trucks and 4runners all came auto with an ECT. That and the drag shifter means i can drive it like a manual if I want (with less boost lost at shift points ), or treat it like a true auto and not give a shit when I don't want to be putting that much effort into driving.

thanks guys, yeah, the rounds really do fit well! the hella housing and LED bulbs provide the best beam out of any headlight I have tried before.

The brown roof is cool, but some spots have chipped, and the paint doesn't have very good UV protection i think, so it keeps dulling out. This summer after I put the new doors on and repaint the fenders I might redo the cab too, and might just go all white. i was looking at some old pictures and kinda liked the all white. Originally I painted the truck all white except anything above window line because without a garage, I can't just leave my truck windowless to paint it. Then i had the two tone idea and went for it, but it was a quick 1 day paint job so I could get doors and windows back on by night time.

_Quickfox likes this.
  12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    *1st to 2nd is programmed into the auto trans body, but with the transgo shift kit I am most likely installing, L will stay in 1st, and i can shift up accordingly.

Even without the shift kit, if i put the ect into "pwr" mode, it won't shift til 5k ish rpms, so things can rip and roll.

_Quickfox likes this.
  13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I was just giving you chit
    Is it the gold metal-flake brown on the cab? My old 87 turbo truck was the gold metal flake brown, beautiful color you just don't see anymore.

_Quickfox likes this.
  14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I installed a couple of new doors a couple weeks ago, the old driver's side door had some damage to it. I also updated the side mirrors to '94 style mirrors with built in LED turn signals.
    My bumper lights I converted to switchback LED bulbs (see link HERE).
    I reworked and shrank the center console a bit the other day.

Feeling a little pent up in the bay area these days, I took a little drive to test some things out, and passed by an empty parking lot that looked nice for a photo shoot. here is a few shots that came out:

20200322_143728asm.jpg
    I liked how the plumb blossoms came out in the background

20200322_143822asm.jpg

I relocated the inverter I had in my old center console to behind the glove compartment, you can see a little USB cable coming out of where the cigarette lighter used to be. I got a dual port USB with jumpers to put in there when I have a chance.

P1011616sm.jpg

TURBO

P1011621sm.jpg

_Quickfox likes this.
  15. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Wow, beautiful shots!

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Truck looks good man.

17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Thanks guys, I've been putting the work in!
    Most recently I've been going through the harness and getting things neatened up and consolidated. I used some fabric tape that came out looking quite nice.
    20200415_190249[1].jpg

_Quickfox likes this.
  18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I had a 5m AFM that I got a while back, and decided it was time to install it. I used 2.5" piping. that coupled with the larger diameter AFM should let a lot more air in to my turbo.

I first had it set up with the original air box, but it was held on with binder clips.

20200428_180810[1].jpg

As I was doing a final fitting, I got the new filter delivered, and popped that on.

20200428_185037[1].jpg

*The hose coming out the front of the valve cover will get routed to the intake pre turbo rather than into the power steering vent port you see it hooked up to in these pics

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    A while ago I had installed a Hayden dual electric fan controller. It has been a struggle for too long, and I decided to go back to just a manual switch. Within the first few weeks one of the fan controllers stopped working, and shortly later the other did. I don't know what went wrong, but it just stopped putting power out. I snipped out the fuses, and wired the fans to a 3 way switch on the dash. No more overheating! also switches are fun!!

20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    My old fuel pump was working intermittently, so I had another one sitting around for a while just waiting for me to burn enough gas to drop the tank. That time finally came, so I spent the morning swapping pumps.
    I learned just how much fuel I actually have when the gauge reads empty, and it really surprised me. That tank was pretty darn heavy.
    I had to jack the truck up waaaay more than I ever have before, and had to remove the driveshaft just to get the tank out. I have never had so much room to work under my truck, I finally felt the way those 2wd guys feel haha.
    The swap went fairly smoothly, and I got everything buttoned back up to go for my first test ride not only with the new pump, but also new fan setup. I went for a drive and ran some errands. The fan switch worked well, and I never needed more than just one fan on to keep things to temp. Fuel pump worked well, but things were running a little lean. I also ran into fuel cut with how much more air I can suck through the turbo with the new AFM.
    I'm gonna play with some things to see if I can get all running cool. My first 2 steps with be to adjust the linkage on my turbo's wastegate to try to lower the pressure, as well as playing with the AFM wheel to try to get to a perfect stochimetric AFR.

Side note: the cable housing end for my hood latch popped off. I now have to just reach through the grill and yank it all to pop the hood. Anyone replaced these before?