1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    They are, but when i was camping and living out of the back, i had taken the interior bed walls out to gain more space, now i want to put some back in, but aluminum will save me some weight, not risk rusting, and hopefully look cool.

There are tabs welded on to the bed box interior with threaded inserts that the interior bed walls screw into. While trying to pull em, over half the bolts snapped off in the inserts, so i either have to extract them or repace them.

I finally got my new LED blinker setup. Both the bumper lights and corner lights are hooked to the turn signal and are LED with a resistor in parallel to prevent the hyper blink. The DRL switches on the Halos.

I also used some of the high powered LEDs that I got for the turn signals in all of the gauge clusters, and really dig the amber vibe.

20191220_215838.jpg

Volt meter is in, just waiting for the t10 bulbs for the lower dash lights.

20191220_215859.jpg

And new tail lights as well.... still have to find why reverse lights don't work.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Does anyone out there know how the O/d switch circuit works? I'm trying to wire up a new one, but without the old switch, am not sure what I am trying to recreate. THanks!

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Ever since I swapped my floor shifter from stock to drag I have lost my reverse lights, and have not knows hot to wire up the O/D switch. After a couple years, I have fixed both problems!

I finally came across something in a thread in a corolla forum about reverse lights not working because of a clogged up NSSS. I figured that mike was gunked up after over 30 years of driving, and sure enough the grease in there had solidified and needed to be picked out with a knife. I cleaned everything up, threw some new lube in there, and reinstalled. REVERSE LIGHTS boom. Now I am thinking of getting some new LED bulbs for them to really illuminate what is behind me. I really hate backing up with the camper shell in the dark because the tinted windows on the shell don't really allow for much visibility.

The overdrive switch ended up being fairly easy. I ended up replacing the o/d off indicator and dash bulb with LEDs for an analog readout. The original bulbs were not replaceable it seems, so I build my own board to fit in with some t5 sockets. I am currently using white, but have some amber on the way for them and the environmental controls.

20191226_092353.jpg
    20191226_092453.jpg

4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    With the o/d working I was able too hook up the last switch for the interior. I have always had a love of old hot rods and old sci-fi stuff, so that is kind of what I wanted for my interior. Here is a run through of the cockpit (just went mountain biking in the mud, so things are a lil dirty in there)

20191226_140734.jpg

The switch for the starter has a safety cap, and there is the bood gauge and igniton retard conrol:
    20191226_135835.jpg

The MSD ignition has it's own toggle switch with LED light inside:

20191226_135924.jpg

driver's and passenger's side fans are on LED switches, as well as my inverter (for cell phones and occasional laptop charging)

20191226_135859.jpg

New volt meter works, and now so does the o/d "off" light. o/d and ect switches are in, o/d has the safety cover:

20191226_140054_HDR.jpg

and of course the coolant temp and afr:

20191226_140013.jpg

74RN22 and jetas like this.
  5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    The second headlight bucket finally came in, and i was able to install the new lights. I used expansion washers for now, i will see how the react to bumps and time. I drilled 3 holes for them, and then templated that onto the fixtures, and installation was easy.

20191229_091943.jpg 20191229_092015.jpg 20191229_092157.jpg 20191229_092204.jpg 20191229_093551.jpg

i definitely love the look of the round ones more than the rectangles.

Perkolator and jetas like this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Looks good. Should look for some tinted plexiglass and cover up the opening.

7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I do have a sheet of 3/16" black acrylic, but I don't necessarily want to do that on the driver's side because that is where my intake gets air from.

The grille is coming off in a few days to install a new trans cooler, and i'm thinking of painting the whole front black behind the lights and grille and all.

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Went ahead and used some Bed liner spray to paint behind the grille, and installed my trans cooler. I set it up to run in series with the cooler in my radiator.

20200102_114356_HDR.jpg

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Dont go to go to crazy with bed liner, under body, or other kinds of sealant spray. It tends to trap moisture and do more harm then good.

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    prep work, prep work, prep work

11. estmalei

estmalei Newbie

What brand of bedliner did you use?

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    It was just Rustoleum or whatever you get at the hardware store. It is a truly terrible liner for a bed, but has held up very nicely on my dash and interior panels.

I just got some por-15 for some funky patches in the corner of the bed floor, then I will most likely get a roll on liner.... for that I'm open to suggestions myself.

_Quickfox likes this.
  13. Justin Danger

Truck:
    A while back I found an aluminum shift knob on the side of the road, and it had the same shift pattern as my truck. I went ahead and tapped it for my setup. It is a little small, but it is cool, and I may polish it up.

20200106_125602_HDR.jpg 20200106_125632.jpg
    Anyone recognize what this might be from?

14. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    Looks like a Lokar knob to me

15. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

I'll have to go through this thread; I find the paint this truck had at the beginning of the build extremely atrattract. I also really like what u've done with the interior.

The shifter and fighter style switch panel I'm looking forward to reading on, glad to see this forum in an intimate way again.

A quick question I'm sure is answered in this thread: have you upgraded the turbo?

-Aaron

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Aaron: Yeah, the original paint wasn't quite the original paint, but I think that it was stencilled and painted to the original stripes. I found evidence of that when I sanded it to repaint. The paint job I did isn't great, I hope to pay someone to do a really good job some day, but that will come after the transmission work.

I haven't "upgraded" the turbo per se, but I did buy a re cast CT20 with an adjustable wastegate as well as the LCE turbo manifold.

In other news, the camper shell is off.

I had considered going a bit lower this morning, but while running some errands I scraped on a speed bump, and decided that the ride height is juuuust fine for now.

Today I should be getting a transmission filter and solenoid kit that I hope to put in thursday or next weekend. That will be coming with some heavy duty engine paint that I will use on the turbo hotpipe, the battery holder, and whatever other parts I can think of...

17. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Paint archaeology is always fun; it's cool someone tried to carry it over, but if it wasn't factory I understand painting over it. Paint is a challenge; you would need: a pro with a vision, who got rich off you, to replicate factory graphics. Even still nothing beats a original paint.

...lower it!!! Honestly tho, if u use it more than just for fun, don't. I'm betting at the height ur at now, it's just right and can still be driven like a truck!

Love the turbo piping, red rips!

-Aaron

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  18. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

If you're interested, Cary is very helpful over at http://www.gotpropane.com/. When you get to a point where you need more boost!

He supplies t3 turbos and adapters I believe. Not an ad, I had just talked to him on the phone, such a legend.

Hope the transmission work goes well Justin!

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Thanks man! I'm actually sitting in the waiting room getting a smog check, yay California. So more boost isn't exactly in the picture for this truck.

I replaced the trans solenoids and filer, and by golly does that trabs run way better.

20. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Yes dood!