1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Veteran

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    yeah, just the knuckle pin connecting the "conrod" to the piston. It spun freely in the piston, but was solid in the rod. It rotated freely, so I assumed it would function alright. Bearings were indexed with their journals into the rods, and torqued to spec onto the crankshaft.

It is frustrating, but every bit of progress is progress none the less, so I shall take it. Cheers for all the tips Liguidhandwash

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Veteran

Truck:
    While I have Betsy up on jacks, and not running, I decided to finally get around to replacing the spider bearings on my driveshaft. I have had the bearings sitting in a box since my first truck, and now have the time and inspiration to install em.

3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Veteran

Truck:

Is that my rattle????

4. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Member

Truck:
    1980 diesel
  5. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Veteran

Truck:
    ah, yes. I have pored over those pages quite a bit. Super helpful info.

6. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Veteran

Truck:
    It has been a while, but I think I am narrowing it down!!

I tried to start the engine the other day just to listen to it again, but the was not cranking the engine. It was spinning up real fast, and I could hear the solenoid firing. I had it tested, and it looked fine to the very inexperienced help I got at my local parts store. I re-installed it and no luck, so I got a new one, as well as a new battery. Now the starter starts the engine, but I don't think it disengages itself. It makes a terrible whirring sound, and feels like it is spinning with the engine. All of this, along with the knocking sound from the bottom end has lead me to an bad flex-plate. I really should have taken the engine and transmission out as a whole. I suspect that trying to mate the engine to the trans while it was still in there may have gone a little awry.

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I am not a pro by any means, but I thought if that fucker mates it mates. Unless you have a disassembled auto and the torque converter isn't seated that seems really unlikely to be a problem.

8. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Veteran

Truck:
    I've finally had some more time to work on things. I separated the torque converter from the flexplate, and can definitely feel some grinding on the flexplate when I turn the crank. I have to see where the scratches are to see what is rubbing once I take things apart. Hopefully this sunday I can get a hoist to get that engine back out. I went ahead and pulled all of the wires and hoses and radiator and such so that I can pull the engine easily. While I was at it, I started some cleaning out in the battery area for some repaining and rust protection. I also decided to go back to the ol rectangular headlights. I ordered some with halos, and am going with LED bulbs. With the LED headlights, I was also looking into switchback LEDs for a turn signal/corner light mod.

20190820_092524[1].jpg

20190820_092539[1].jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 12:08 PM