Battery/Intake Swap 22re

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Juicyy, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Truck:
    1993 single cab 22re 5sp rwd
    i've been looking at this mod for a bit, and i'm super glad i took the time to do it today!
    It took about 2 hours and $30 from home depot to get it done. Starts with removing the battery terminals

before:

[​IMG]

after battery and airbox removal:

[​IMG]

i bolted a piece of flat metal to the inside fender where the battery will get bolted down:

[​IMG]

and backed it up using a flat piece of metal on the outside fender so it wouldn't tear through the thin sheet metal after years of replacing batteries (sorry about the terrible pic):

[​IMG]

battery mounted:

[​IMG]

for the electrical connectivity, i bought 11 feet of 2 gauge stranded copper wire from home depot with copper lugs, and isolated them in a plastic box to connect with the rest of the battery positive on the passenger side by the fuse box:

[​IMG]

and for the battery negative, i separated the battery to engine block from the harness, and relocated the ground to the drivers side of the engine where the lower-radiator-hose-to-engine bracket is mounted, under the alternator. i ran the positive wire from the post along the front of the fender, between all of the juice boxes to the isolated box.

[​IMG]

the rest of it was cutting off the brackets to the air box, cutting a large rectangular hole in the lower front end of the box to allow for larger amounts of air flow, and fitting them together using the stock tubing. since california is an emissions controlled state, i hooked up the smaller hose to the pair so it will pass smog inspections.

final results:

[​IMG]

detail of the airbox:

[​IMG]

detail of the battery:

[​IMG]

i took it on the freeway, and it has much much faster throttle response! it also "warbles" towards the top end of rpms, giving it that sexy engine hum...

let me know what you think!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. silverblazer50

silverblazer50 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
    Very clean install. I could tell a difference when I did mine.

3. madstriker

madstriker Member

Truck:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Good job!

4. Ministock6

Ministock6 Member

Truck:
    1990 Lucas Oil Regional Ministock #6, 1994 Bagged C-notched and Shaved parts truck turned play toy
    Great write up! I've been thinking about doing the same thing!