Back in the saddle...again.

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Xs5875, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Have you not done the clutch flip? I'm gonna do that this week. And if you arent bodied yet you will want to. So I'd cut and tub for the body drop we both know is coming!

2. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    That's funny never heard that song before. But ya it is.

3. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    I haven't done the clutch flip yet, and yes we both know the body drop is coming but that's next years project. My goal for this year is to have it all on bags and body worked. I have a lot of body damage to take care of and one cancer spot to deal with.

Re read your post and my last post, I was talking about the clutch pedal hitting the wheel tub on the inside. I should have clarified better, my bad.

4. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    Oh yes it will. U have to depress the pedal. Mark where it hits. Weld an arched piece to the pedal then cut out the section that hits.

5. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Ya definitely hits the tub. I have a pretty big arch in my pedal.

6. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    glad to see you are back. loved your 93 build.

7. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    motor mount drop

Been chugging along. Doing the normal time consuming things that slow you down. Firewall is tubbed. Clutch master is flipped. And today I dropped the engine 1" by cutting the factory mounts and offsetting them an inch and re welding.

Attached Files:

8. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    I'm tearing things down a bit more. Got the valve cover off to find the driver chain guide broke and grooves in the cover. Fun. Was gonna change it anyway. All the egr and vacuum bs is gone. Besides the ac vsv. Keeping that lol. This thing has a toyota fuel filter. Bet it's stock. Should keep trudging along and taking my time. I want this to be bulletproof.

9. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    yup might as well take care of everything while its down right now. that way when its up and running, its up and running!

10. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    latest mod

Latest update. A long time ago I saw on the Facebook toyota minis page a pickup with a 3rd Gen 4runner window. Thought it was awesome. They had the whole back of the cab cut out for a custom wall. But I figured it could be done with the factory wall. I sourced a window from a salvage yard for $100. Then I set out by marking around the frame of the window and cutting it out. There is alot of structure in there to cut free. I used 2 cut off wheels and 2 Sawzall blades. Then I scrapped all the other electronics in the door. Leaving only the window regulator assembly. Once everything was flap disked down and smooth and even. I made a template and applied it to the cab. It took some convincing myself to cut a perfectly good cab but I did it. And here is yr before and after. It fits rather well. It's not welded in here but I grabbed a battery and ran it up and down a few times. It works. Such a large window too...anyway. here's the pics.

Attached Files:

11. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    I'm jealous! I'd love that conversion. How many hours are you into it so far without the welding?

12. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    Probably 4 hrs. Of cutting. Smoothing. Measuring. Praying lol.

13. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Fascinating mod. How water tight is it. I'd also like to request a pic of the inside.

14. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    Ok, folks. Made a bit of progress...however, one question.

I removed the cab, and chopped the front clip off the frame (doing a stock frame drop) and I forgot to check the relationship of the core support crossmember to the frame, meaning, how parallel were they..

I guess in a easier way to explain, I should have leveled the frame front to back, with a level on the portion of frame that runs under the cab. Then checked to see if the level read the same on the core support member, that way when I set the clip on the frame table, I know whether or not to set it level to begin the frame...

Get it? If anyone has an angle finder, climb under your truck, measure the frame angle under the cab...(rake, i guess) then check the core support crossmember, tell me if its the same.

Although I dont see why it wouldnt be...

15. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    Kinda what I mean....

Attached Files:

16. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
  17. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
  18. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    Alright big props to JOsh, 1lowSR5, he took the time to get me the confirmation that the lower front section of the frame runs parallel to the rest of the frame rails under the cab...crisis averted, lol...

19. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    Well damn. Its been over a month since I updated this. Kinda figured it wuld be that way. Im building this one right, rather than wanting to hurry up and drive it and just kill the project, shoot primer on it then ride.

Ive been plugging away. PICS!

I had to build a frame table for the stock floor. No time or money for a full on steel table, Im a former cabinet builder so this thing is flat, true, square...level. All the above, You cansee the front clip, centered on the table...and I transferred measuremements off the actual frame to the table...you can also see where I have removed the LCA bushing for the Cando tubulars that are in the plans..

[​IMG]

Next up, converting the drums to disks..I wont go into crazy detail. But I will have less than $200 in this swap, if you want details PM me..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the side profile of the 4Runner window. Matches pretty dang good right! I still have to finish welding this frame in...top and bottom is welded in and half the pass. side.

[​IMG]

This is how I cut out my A/C blower...its been fiberglassed back together and is installed. This truck wil lhave heat and a/c and be bodied to the rocker on 20s....yeah thats right.

[​IMG]

Now the clutch pedal bracket has been built, its been painted and re-installed. This time built out of 1/4"....not playing this time.

[​IMG]

Also dropped the motor mounts 1" So that the hood will clear....

[​IMG]

Also in the time between spending big money...i been cleaning and painting engine parts..
    I also got some drop spindles for $100!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now! Im gonna buy the 2x3 for the frame next....stay tuned!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  20. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Wooop! I'm excited to see what becomes of this mini.