78 Hilux build

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pnwhilux, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

Motors on the stand. Time for clean up.

Attached Files:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

Took the engine apart today. Looks like it could use new rod and crank bearings. Journals look good.

Found some wear on one of the bolt heads holding the timing chain guides in place. See pictures below. Anyone know the cause? Stretched chain?

Also after inspection of the bright links for setting timing I am confused. There is a single bright that matched up with the timing mark on the crank sprocket. And two brights on the other end of the chain. One would assume those would like up with the timing mark on the cam sprocket? I zip tied my chain to the cam sprocket before head removal and as you can see in the photos below those two bright links are not lined up with the timing mark on the cam sprocket. Is this an issue? Did a previous owner screw this up? Could this have caused my chipped exhaust valve?

I am trying to determine if my t chain is stretched or not.

Attached Files:

3. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

Timing chain and cam sprocket.

Attached Files:

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Because you have the timing cover off you don't need anything to keep the chain and gear together. I also find when you do keep the cover on you just need to keep the chain tight and roll it down into the guilds.

5. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

I know I don't need to keep it together at this point. The zip ties are just a left over from when I pulled the head and wasn't expecting to pull the timing cover off.

It sure does seem that the timing was off tho. Maybe it skipped a tooth. Any thoughts on the wear on the bolt head?

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The chain was rubbing on it. That's the side that would get slack from my understanding. Or because it looks rounded off it may of been damaged before it went back in.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Damn, never would've though those wheel would look so good on these trucks! :waytogo:

8. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

I'm honestly not sold on the wheels. I've been looking for Jeep snow flakes or maybe some Nissan 300 sawtooths.