73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Damn, good thing is you're alright. You can buy everything else back.

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Good you're ok. bad you're care is out.

Oh Baby! 2JZ!! That would be an awesome install! Lots of info out there on the swap, lots of parts available to make the swap easier. I believe there's a harness available to put it in just about anything.

Those wheels look meaty, they'd give the little minitruck a bit of a burly appearance. Matter of taste.

Maybe, if the budget and time allow, the IS's rear suspension can find a new home in your truck. Hmmmm.

Pearce likes this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Only problem is my car is a very uncommon spec. Technically it's rare. I've only seen a few in the last couple years that has the cloth interior. And they are all slicktops. Looking hard at the market again lots of high priced junk.

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Insurance screwed me on the value of my daily. Do not ever use Geico for collision. Anyway got the car back today and pulled the seats. They fit pretty good with only some slight mods needing done. Will also need to make a center console to trim it up. Can't see what I'm taking about in the photo because I strategically framed my shot not to show the junk on the floor. IMG_20220928_175924.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Perkolator likes this.
  5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Just gave them a little adjustment on where I would have the seating position and it feels pretty damn good. Even better then the car. My weighted shifter probably won't work. To much slop in the bushings pretty sure it will fall out of gear. It will have to wait till I get the cd009 under it.

6. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Insurance companies ALWAYS screw you over.

Have you replaced the bushings in the shifter housing? If you did, are they the right bushings? I had a Celica that I tried replacing the bushings and it wouldn't tighten up. Found out that trans set-up had a "buffer" that fell out of the shift arm.
    I like the crew at "Marlin Crawler", they ask the rught questions and tyoically can get the right parts for your Toyota transmissions.

Pearce likes this.
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

No I haven't looked into it much.

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    IMG_20220929_173234.jpg Did a little cleaning and started getting the seats bolted in. The drivers side lines up in front but one of my holes isn't threaded. Not a big deal. The passenger side is more of a problem. The rail rides on the transmission tunnel. Funny thing is the drivers side is closer to the center then the passenger. Could be because of the t bone I had. It was a pretty significant hit on the drivers side. I was looking at putting the seat belts from the is300 in but after really looking at them I have no way to trim it up good. Threw the floor mats in for the hell of it.

On another note realizing I'm a bit optimistic for the things I want to do with the space I have. Don't have a good flat space and not trying to piss off the landlord. Going to take a few things like the transmission and all the parts that go with it. I'll pull the ecu and stuff needed for a 2jz swap along with the lsd and coilovers. Figure those things will not take up much space while I put the full hilux 300 on the back burner. Pretty easy to find another wreck for cheep so not like I'm sitting on much gold.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Those seats look good in it. A bit high but comfortable nonetheless. That's how my 4runner seats feel. But I'll sacrifice a bit of hight for lumbar support.

Pearce likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got my wheels and because I havnt bought a replacement for the daily the truck got to test fit them. 18x8.5 plus 34 offset. 215 35 tire. Would need to slam it to make it look decent. IMG_20230331_134213.jpg IMG_20230331_134209.jpg IMG_20230331_134205.jpg IMG_20230331_134203.jpg

jetas likes this.
  11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Those are cool. One of my favorite styles, fat five spokes.. reminds me of late 90s early 2000s AMG wheels. Those wouldn't look bad on the truck.

Pearce likes this.
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Finally did some work on the truck. Did my tie rods, idle arm and pitman arm. Went pretty smooth. Used a press style remover on everything but the pitman arm. Ended up just doing the old cut a slit in it. Took care of pretty much all play. I'll replace the coupler soon.

jetas likes this.
  13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Decided to keep on working and mess with the motor. Pulled the head looking for any obvious leak. Didn't find anything. Was about to pill the timing cover but after really looking it over I don't think it's holding the head up. Spent some good time cleaning it and getting it dry. Installed the arp studs but need to get the right socket for my torque wrench. After I button it up I'm going to vacuum the cooling system to test for leaks.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Found a 12 point to torque down the head. Put it under vacuum and it got full vacuum and held. Felt pretty good about it so filled it up. Just need to adjust the rockers and time the ignition and I can test her out.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Made my first drive in like 2 years. Head seems to be holding. The linkage is binding so I need to take care of that. Might take it to work sometime this week.

Erwin Merida and Perkolator like this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Been messing with it on and off for the rest of the day. Got it a little more dialed. The carbs are still being a little weird. Need to get the air flow gauge on them. The linkage isn't binding anymore but it's still bad. At some point I lost a set screw for one of the stoppers on the duel carb linkage. Not my biggest problem though. Thinking of going to a cable pedal if I can't get it how I like it. If anyone has one they can recommend let me know.

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I have a Lokar universal throttle cable in mine.

Pearce likes this.
  18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Nice, looking I found something similar so went with it. Didn't think a new pedal could be so expensive. Been needing to do this. The rod style linkage is a pain when everything is that.

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I literally made my own pedal. Some all-thread and some flat stock

20. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Not going for a footprint gas pedal? :drunk:

Pearce likes this.