73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Pretty big moment. Finally insured the hilux. Plan on driving it a little more now.

Perkolator, jetas and RN23CB like this.
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    A few little pulls from this morning.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Sweet.
    I know the feeling when you finally get things registered and insured. I just insured and sent off the registration for my Delmont last week. I think it's first time in over 20yrs

BTW what muffler is that you're running through when not using the cutout? I kept thinking to myself "it's so quiet!" I really need to get around to installing the Dynomax I bought

Pearce likes this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

It was the one the po had. It's was still in really good shape. I think it's a "turbo" style muffler.

Perkolator likes this.
  5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Thrashed the hilux pretty hard the last couple days. Thought I was going to help the homie get some boards but it ended up turning to a flower run. When I got back to the truck a sweet slammed tacoma parked next to me and we had a quick chat. Turned a few heads parked at the homies. It was funny watching his nephew do the double take of the truck. Gave the homie a ride. When we got back he said I spun the tires more in that trip then he's ever done in the entire time of owning his most recent car. The truck still needs a bit of fine tuning. Pretty sure I'm spitting from the carbs cruising.

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Love this street in tacoma IMG_20210509_100922_665.jpg

RN23CB, Erwin Merida and jetas like this.
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    [​IMG] Trying to dial in the tune. Added some more timing and it didn't like it. Have a good idea what spark knock sounds like now. After reverting back I put the idle mixture screw and speed screws back to base. Ended up just under 2 turns out on them. But on my ride to the grocery store I noticed some afterfires sitting at the light. I'll get it closer when we have more consistently warm days. Still fluctuating weather wise and bit here in Washington. Did notice I can spin in third gear. Pretty happy about that. Returned to the scene of the crime like a good criminal for some photos. Not my biggest one but confirmation third spins.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    RN23CB likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
  9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Good power curve and precise shifting! :applause: got to be close to 200 torque for sure!

Pearce likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Maybe the short gearing really helps. Thought about longer gears but rowing through the gears and still spinning doesn't get old. Don't really plan on going on the highway it's really just the around town ripper.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    After a little run I noticed my idle was hanging really high after a few blips of the gas. Pulled out the balancer undid the linkage and balanced them again. Between the two carbs one was hitting harder and one carb wasn't balanced between the 2 barrels. When doing it noticed a carb was still leaking some fuel. So need to pull apart the carbs and do some checks. Was thinking the Italian tune up solved it lol. Could be the volcity stacks I bought for the shorter filters. Plan on notching my tub to fit the 3 inch K&N filters I got soon as I get a 50ft 240v extension cord.

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Been waiting about 4 months and got some news. My new hood is finally off the ship. Just a little longer. Looks like my other parts are still on the water. At least the hood didn't fall off the boat. I've been worrying about that a lot lately.

jetas likes this.
  13. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Customs checks have been increased lately. I work@ the Port of Long Beach and there's many more ships with 1500-1800 containers waiting to dock then normal(15-20 as opposed to 2/3). All due to CBP but hey, they gota do their job. That's why overnight parts got that premium tag!! Lol

14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    The hood you have on there not correct?

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It's correct but it's actually in pretty rough shape. The supports are floating. Has a decent bit of body filler in the nose that just started cracking because all my slams of the hood. Surprisingly held up well for a job done in the winter just before it rained lol. Looks like all my parts have cleared customs and are siting in the New Jersey distribution center. Got a new tailgate and bumper coming to.

From my understanding all forms of shipping are suffering. Dude was complaining about how he paid for the 7 day shipping and over a month later he hadn't seen it move. This dude on youtube said he waited 6 months for a body kit from Russia. I was going to give it 2 more months before starting a claim. Time was never a big issue but my parts becoming a reef was. Now just praying no to minimal damage.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  16. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I feel ya. Fresher parts do seem to 'complete' the truck more. Even tho they are never complete. Lol. Good thing you found that source overseas

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well messed with the floats. They where way off. After setting them to 12mm, checking the needle and then putting them together I still noticed fuel coming out. So I put in the old volcity stacks and ditched the filter for now and it seems not be leaking. I do get some spitting from the barrel most seeming effected from before. I did notice the venturi was kind of lose in the barrel. The one next to it seemed to have some play but not as much. Wonder if a backfire pushed it out.

Anyway the main reason for going at it today was the throttle was still hanging and I didn't have a good peddle feel. Next week I plan on doing my mods to fit the filters and I'll replace the intake gasket and look for and vacuum leaks. I'm almost thinking that I have a vacuum leak on that barrel because I can't get a wrench on one of the bolts that go to the carb. To tight.

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Asked someone to make me the 22r hybrid valve cover logo and because I used a photo with a watermark the person is worried about copyright. Made me brush up my copyright laws. Funny because the person has no problem copying Toyota. From understanding even if Toyota didn't make it because it so closely represents logos already in existence by Toyota and is trying to appear as a real thing from Toyota its their logo. They don't even have to register 20r or 22r as trademarks. It's common law.

20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So the story of the rn25 hood not latching on a rn20 is very true. I knew that but it doesn't seem like it will take much to mod. It suffered a little damage in shipping but not bad. Still very happy with it. The other parts should be here tomorrow. They are in Seattle now.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CPmHF5eDaJ-/?utm_medium=share_sheet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021