73-74 18RC replacement radiator?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Boonies, Apr 23, 2023.

1. Boonies

Boonies Member

Truck:
    74 short bed, gnarly tired Hilux
    Anyone have a source or link to a post with a source for one? I’ve had two stock ones repaired but they keep springing new leaks.

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Have you looked into mounting newer radiators in the space? It's my understanding that aftermarket double row 22r radiators still line up with the old radiator hose locations, but might need new radiator support mounting holes drilled (one source leads me to believe its only the lower mount holes). It'd be a good reason to go electric fan and ditch the one on the engine. About all the help I can be on this

Erwin Merida likes this.
  3. Boonies

Boonies Member

Truck:
    Thanks for the info. I haven’t looked into later model radiators yet but will see what’s available for a 22r. Making mounting points should be a challenge if it gives me a solid radiator!

Anyone else have any suggestions or information?

4. Jimmy cragg

Jimmy cragg Newbie

Truck:
    1974 toyota hilux mini camper
    I have a 1974 toyota hilux mini camper that had a failed radiator. I bought a 5 row aluminum radiator for a 1974 toyota corolla. The radiator was not as wide or tall as the original but the hose outlets and positions were close enough that stock hoses worked. I corrected the size difference by mounting aluminum flat bar to the radiator mounting holes and then drilling holes in the flat bar that correlated to the stock radiator mounting points. No fan shroud but running nice and cool.

Boonies likes this.
  5. Boonies

Boonies Member

Truck:
    Fantastic Information to have and I’ll add it to the list of optional options!

6. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    I'd guess the Celica radiator would fit better than a Corolla radiator, same engine through '75 and then through '81 the radiators are really close.