5R engine swap for 18R?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by liteace, Jun 24, 2013.

1. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    The f8a is my first love and are an awesome engine, sadly they are the complete opposite of a 5R.
    I was always under the impression with toyota diffs that the series is the carriers nothing to do with the crown wheel and pinion which also fit other series carriers such as the lite stout have an E series and yet complete hilux G series centres and axles fit in there housing nicely, so it is more than possible that the L series uses the same crown wheel and pinon as the K series the stout and landcruiser have, the dyna having the dual rear wheel option having a stronger and wider housing than the toyoace stout might be the difference as the 20 6.1:1 ain't real common ratio

Edit
    As a kid a friend of my dad brought a 78 single rear wheel dual cab dyna it was relatively new back then and put the holden six in it asap, he had that thing for years and just before he sold it not so long ago finally did a cruisers crown wheel and pinion as the cruisers centre had smaller axle spline

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. liteace

liteace Newbie

f8a first love :)
    I loved my old f5a :) best economy ever in an 83 hatch

My motorhome is single rear wheel and I was surprised too when I found it to be 6.17 but thats why it can overtake semis up a slight inclined at 140kmhr and still pulling for more, a bit surreal but its all in the gearing. Dad never had it over 90kmhr :)

3. liteace

liteace Newbie

A little off topic but this is the other engine I had in mind for my hatch when the f5a broke a piston
    its a 2 cylinder version of the f series used all over asia in tuk tuks, rickshaws and quads
    Suzuki 276mt Water Cooling Engine - Buy Water Cooled Engine,Suzuki Engine 600cc,Suzuki Engines For Sale Product on Alibaba.com

back on topic I often wonder if there is a disc brake front end and drum rear end I could use from a landcruiser a hiace box and y motor could also be an option butthe braking is the issue.
    Toyota engine, Toyota engine direct from Suzhou Puhan Power Machine Co., Ltd. in China (Mainland)

4. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    There was always issues about moving the handbrake as it was classed as an illegal braking system modification in some states, but under ncop things are different. On the sunshine coast there is a daihatsu delta dual cab, so a dyna that has a 302 Windsor engine and landcruiser diffs, he said to me that the diffs bolt in an only required the transfercase cross member, that the holes were already in the chassis so it bolted in, the tail shafts were the correct length and it was only how the steering box and steering linkages being different that caused problems.
    The easiest way I was told to get my turbo legal was to used a 40 series landcruiser front disc diff, bolt in apart from the steering box linkage issues, but if steering design modification is being done for ADR 10 collapsible steering column then I guess one could take advantage and go power steering, although as the ncop modifications are provincial and can be deemed illegal outside of the state of approval pending the mood of the officer on the day as it is their choice if they accept interstate modification approvals under the anti hooning laws.

With the suzuki engines I love the thought of the lj50 engines 550cc taken out to near 800cc supercharged in the sj30

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  5. liteace

liteace Newbie

Great info on cruiser options!
    I do love disc brakes thats for sure, maybe there is a way just using a custom or early removable caliper bracket as there sure was a intermediate version from drum to disc.

With Suzuki you really need a sequential box hayabusa setup :)

6. liteace

liteace Newbie

7. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    I would look at a 20r 22r as I do recall something regarding the corolla k engines and 18r g boys taking that route and things being interchangeable

8. liteace

liteace Newbie

thank you WM
    linkages looking like the issue for 5 speed engagement, very loose
    also will be looking for a 18rc series bellhousing for the future

9. liteace

liteace Newbie

Just to report the Dyna 5R motor is purring like a kitten, smooth as silk, punchy and crisp acceleration with new Lukey headers, new leads, points, plugs, New Chinese made carburettor etc couldnt be happier

Just for the round Oz trip would like get hold of another backup alternator and starter motor just in case.

Here is the Stout starter, I cant see if they are the same as the Dyna I have with alloy single bellhousing.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/657570368/REBUILT_CAR_5R_STARTER_MOTOR_FOR.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    The main difference between most Japanese starter motor of the era is the location of the solenoid as per which side of the engine they mount and when I had suzuki lj80 I used k block corolla or 18r motors as at the time as I just had them

11. liteace

liteace Newbie

Thats very informative and serious sounding swap and change-ability between makes
    I found this one for the ru20 very happy with price but also a good one from a 1968 corona
    yet I was in doubt that would fit it until you mentioned the above.
    Brand NEW Starter Motor TO FIT Toyota Dyna 1969 TO 1984 2 0L Petrol 5R | eBay

Ive been seriously thinking about your turbo idea, the 5r has massively strong pistons, rings and good compression for such a setup. It would be nice to have a small ball bearing turbo in a drawthrough setup at 8-10 psi.

Also considering a HHO setup for extra economy as theres plenty of room under my cab

12. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    The browns gas or HHO is an intriguing concept and my uncle has played with them for years having built many and refining it, he has a unit on his hiace camper van with a Y engine. The downfall is that it is not possible to produce enough gas to operate the unit as the power required to run them puts and sometimes requires a larger alternator which again increases load on the engine , personally I would rather a lpg tank down the back than a potential unexpected hydrogen explosion .

My long term plan is holzgas, wood gas or the aussie term gas producer, hence the idea of sole lpg turbo as any combustible biomass can be used as fuel and there have been those that have done the around Australia trip without buying fuel using anything that burns as fuel including bits of old truck tyres from off the road.

I would love to see a race based on the only fuel the cars had was human effluent, how to get to work using old white crusty dog turds as fuel
    [​IMG]

13. liteace

liteace Newbie

Browns Gas is probably incorrectly labelled compared to effluent based fuel.
    Some UK company has looked at effluent as a source of bio-fuel and funnily
    enough there is enough fat consumption world wide to make it happen.

With the price of LPG hitting 90c in Melbourne with the BS rubbish that USA
    winters are to blame when BP says there is no supply problem, Id love to
    travel Australian on garbage from the road as LPG is no longer an option.