20r carb ?'s

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by burnzya, May 25, 2009.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    here are a few pictures of what i meant that i did.

non egr intake from craigslist
    [​IMG]

before gasket matching
    [​IMG]

after gasket matching
    [​IMG]

installed studs for the bottom water crossover, which is blocked off...but i would loved to have welded it closed just below the thermostat unit and not have that lower plate at all...water.controlled.carb.choke. really?!?
    [​IMG]

full shot, i had to ream out the holes on the plate a little. then used nuts. held really tight and wont snap off coming apart again
    [​IMG]

and removing the carb entry bar - before
    [​IMG]

and after - i tapered it up smooth with the 2 part carb adapter. i would have liked to mill the weber size all the way down, but i didnt have a way to cut that much metal in a timely manor so just did what i could.
    [​IMG]

as i stated, it picked up a little power and a nice amount of mid range responce to stepping on it. well worth the like 30 bucks i spent. thats the gaskets, intake and studs/nuts :D and i used an electric drill with the flap discs, and a little bit of carbide cutter. using an air die grinder would have been way more awesomer.

2. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
  3. standardbyker88

Truck:
    one of those 1 part adapters would be a nice change. for the intake im working on, im going to weld the top plate of a 2 part weber adapter to the intake in place. it will sit the carb lower leaving room for a taller filter. im also making some other changes. ill probably end up bead blasting it when im done for a matte finish.

4. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    standardbyker88,

Did your existing linkage (oem rod set-up) along the wirewall work with the Weber carb?

And by the way, to answer my own question (above), if I don't remove that "phenolic heat spacer" there's no way the Weber and it's filter will clear my hood.

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    on my 78 i used all the stock pivots and bars. had to adjust the long one a little but thats easy. the weber has a similar to stock style attachment the linkage hooks to. i think i reused the stock one but dont remember. make sure there is a lock washer there. i had that part fall off once and had to replace it. and mine is manifold, gasket, lower adapter, gasket, upper adapter, gasket, carb. id like to weld that upper part into the intake so its only using 1 gasket. and to run a taller filter. i can get pics now if you need.

and you PM box is full lol

6. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Not anymore. :D

Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

Talking to a couple of "Celica friends" I guess a lot of guys find these carbs used (in decent condition) only to find out later that they don't have all the linkage adapters that Redline Weber includes in their "kit".

So they end up having to fab something to make it work.