20r carb Question

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 79celica, Dec 24, 2019.

1. 79celica

79celica Newbie

So the diapham that pulls the 2nd venturis open on the carb in in celica is bad, and i cand find a kit with one any where. I found a old stock rebuilt carb for a 20r corona and was thinking about ordering it but wanted to ask if anyone knows if there are diferent intake manifolds on diferent applications of the 20r. carb is an aisin 2bbl small window

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    AFAIK, there is only one style factory 20R intake, and one style factoey 22R intake. Exhaust manifolds did get reconfigured every now and then.

79celica likes this.
  3. 79celica

79celica Newbie

cool just wanted to be sure before i drop 200 on a carb

4. 79celica

79celica Newbie

ok now that im looking at it there are the same number of vaccuume ports as on my carb but the ones around the mix screw come out at diffrent places in the base. I guess the question i should be asking are there multiple aisin 2bbls. What do thoes vaccume lines, other than the one that goes distributor, even do? is it just smog crap?

5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Yup. Smog crap.

I believe the carbs got a lot of changes. Not only possible yearly updates, but the trucks might be different from the cars...

What year Corona is your replacement carb from?

Have you considered a Weber smog legal carb, instead?

fred heath likes this.
  6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Why spend $200 for an old dated carb. Add another $100 and get a Weber redline 32/36. You can get them smog legal and even with water choke if needed. Instead of a zillion vacuum lines you’re only dealing with 1. They come with the adapter plate for the 20R intake.

7. 79celica

79celica Newbie

You might be right about the webber. I would like to keep this stock as i can thoe just because there arnt a lot of 2nd gen celicas left. even less stock ive only ever seen 2 others at cars and coffee and shows. One had a webber the other had a 22re. I know im not, but being the guy with the last 70s celica that hasnt been modded really apeals to me for some reason. However if all else fails its webber time.

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I would pickup the webber and do the rebuild down the road if thats what you really want to do. I did not have much time with the stock 20r carb but Im always told how much of a difference the webber makes. I just set the mixture to base, dialed in the idle and fuel pressure and shes happy. I dont even really have to mess with the choke on cold starts.

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Well....

You're not even the "guy with the last 70s Celica" on this website, either. :D I have a 79 coupe as well. From new.

Nowhere near stock, tho. Currently not running but it has an 18RG, TRD springs and shocks, and 15X7 Enkei 92s. All the stuff from the 70s. I plan to put the 20R back in because swapping motors every two years just doesn't sound as much fun as it did 30 years ago.

Getting back to your issue, I still have the original carb but I am thinking of just getting a smog legal weber. But I dunno; I go back and forth on the idea...

79celica likes this.
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Do you actually need the smog equipment? If not then desmog it and throw in a weber. Guarantee theres a lot more support for a weber than the OE carb

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I'm just remembering that the carb on my 20r had an adapter plate. Pretty sure it was the 22r carb. You might want to check if that's the case with yours before you buy a rebuild kit.

12. 79celica

79celica Newbie

If you do get the webber let me know if you wanna sell the stock carb

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Need an adapter plate to mount the weber.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

Yup. I'm saying the carb that was on the old setup before I touched mine had an adapter plate. Wasn't just a spacer. Pretty sure it had a 22r carb. But didnt look into it more because the new webber. Lol

15. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    http://m.siriusconinc.com/products-detail.php?product_id=122437

This place use to sell hard to get Carburetor parts, What I found out after I purchased from them was that if it was gaskets only required was to go online to Walker Carburetors because their online catalog offers all of the old parts kits available, well at least back in 2018. The brand name was Keysteir carburetor Parts. I hope this is not another dead end...

http://www.walkerproducts.com/wp-content/catalogs/carburetor/automotive/full.pdf

Page 57

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019