20/22 hybrid "laser block"

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by B.Y.E., Nov 15, 2010.

1. Dux_Trucks

Dux_Trucks Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 hi-lux std cab 2wd 5spd short bed
    lol so true trry for the wrong info... just reread what i had posted and I lol ... hee hee ooopppsss :D

but really I dont think it is worht the time/money to do the laser block just source a 81-84 block NOT the laser block lol

but then again there is kind of a low power cap on the n/a 22r or 20/22r motor I myself have been going round and round with the hole idea of cracked out 22r or swap.. but I do really want to do a 6L and toyota didnt really make akick a$$ rwd 4.. yeah ok they have the 20v 4a .......... still up it the air

sorry for the miss post tho

2. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Hybrid build is moving along slowly... I'll be adding a few bits and peices that I have come across with the actual build after its running and tested...

So far so good! *knock on wood! :waytogo:

3. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Hybrid

B.Y.E I am fixing a friends 4x. It is a 91 with a 20r head and 22r block. It is running pop ups. At first i was only going to change timing guides but I checked con rod bearings and found #1 spun. It was pretty bad and it did some damage to the crank. I was going to put in a new crank shaft. Is there any reason why a standard 22r crankshaft wont work? I'm just making sure because of the pop up pistons. Do you think i can resurface the crank and plastiguage it and put in thicker con rod bearings? Can i do this on my own or do i have to take it to a machine shop? I was thinking to cut some fine sand paper and put it under some old con rod bearings put them on and tape them together then get something like a belt to spin it on the crank back and forth till its smooth again.
    What do you think?

4. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Forgot to mention in the PM that all 20R/22R/RE cranks and rods are the same... :waytogo:

5. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    YEP .. from 79-95 ..

6. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Im not to sure about that guys. They use different bearings between laser/non laser motors.

And Slack, why not the pre 79 20Rs? Do you know whats different? :shrug:

I always thought they changed the crankshaft counterbalance when they went laser to account for the lighter piston. But IDK.

7. Nook

Nook Addict

As far as I know the crankshafts are all the same from 75-95, 20R or 22R, the connecting rods are dimensionally the same also, but they made a slight change in the later years which altered the weight slightly, so they should be checked and compared closely with what your replacing or replaced as a set.

8. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Your correct Raffi, the mains and thrust washer bearings have different locking tab locations but, dimensionally they are the same... Rod bearings are all the same as far as I've seen...

Just get the right bearing based on the block your using and you should be fine. In my hybrid I'm using a 78 20r crank and I would of used the rods too had I not found an awesome deal on these H-beams... :waytogo:

9. ToYo828

ToYo828 Newbie

Truck:
    1989 regular cab 22r
    how abut if u were to use a pop up head on a laser block would i have to get it shaved???

10. ZHANG FELIX

ZHANG FELIX Newbie

Truck:
    96xcab
    MIKE/RN50 20/22R hybrid, ceramiccoated pacesetters hdr, 2.5" exhaust, no cat, 2" belltech front spindles, BJflip, BeefTaco 4"blocks KYB Monos.

11. vancetater

vancetater Enthusiast

Truck:
    74 hilux shortbed
    i currently got one of these set ups for free but its been sitting fo 8 years so i compleatly tore it down we shall see how it perfourms when i get it reassembled i am looking for sidedrafts for it all i have is stock intake with a 38 weber or a 32/36 but it is a laserblock with 20 r head i have pics in my build

12. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Lucky you bro! :waytogo:

I do have a spare 20R intake (2-piece Mikuni style). No linkage tho... PM me if your interested.