1989 (and now 1995) Xtra Cab build thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mutantcolors, Jan 19, 2017.

1. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    Is2/350 AWD setup would be dope. But I like everything that I'm reading. You're not gonna use the rear end out of the gs?

2. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I ended up selling off the rest of the GS, but I'm still in contact with the guy who bought it. Same person that bought the brake master. Ended up loosely becoming friends, we're both kind of scumbag car guys in the same way LOL.

After staring at it long enough, I think the way to do "AWD" is to marry the Tundra 4WD setup and ECU to a 1UZ, or figure out how to hard wire the 4WD to be on all the time and keep the 1UZ brain. Or just say fuck it and throw the whole 2UZ rig in there, but that seems stupid to put an iron block V8 in these little trucks.

I think the one scary thing about the AWD Chaser 1J setup is, WTF do you do between the axle stubs and the wheels? There's a lot that can go wrong and make life a nightmare.

3. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

And then I come back 9 minutes later to post that I just learned something very interesting.
    2001-2004 Sequoia (A341F) transmission has AWD mode via a locking transfer case.

That's a xUZ VVT-i AWD tranny and ECU. Boom?

Also just learned how crazy similar the gearing of our W55 and the A650E is. Within a couple percent all the way to the awesome overdrive gear in the auto.
    [​IMG]

4. BatryOpratedBoy

Truck:
    I'm thinking several years back of a guy who out a pickup body On an AWD Matrix, and also the dude who put a BEAMS and AWD RAV4 drive train into a late 90's "shorty" rav4. That shit was insane. 300hp and lol like a 6 foot AWD footprint.

Point is... I think the Tundra stuff would be too heavy haha.

Scumbag car guy is the new ultimate term of endearment.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Theres a dude on instagram whos mating a 72-74 truck body to a Lexus SC chassis, interesting build so far

6. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I do agree the Tundra gear would be heavy, hence focusing on the aluminum block V8, but TBH these little trucks with that much power could use a few extra lbs in the right places (like where the tranny and rear axle go.)

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I figured something out.
    The 2GRFE came in AWD options.
    They're all transverse, but it's something.

One big fat chunk of powerful AWD Toyota goodness.*
    *Some installation required.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  8. BatryOpratedBoy

Truck:
    Lol that's what I was thinking when I said IS350 or gs350. As you know you can find them kinda cheap. I thought they were longitudinally mounted though. Do it!!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  9. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Pretty sure the AWD stuff is transverse. Whatever, doesn't matter, the hard part will be fitting it. And that shit is easy compared to hunting down mystery parts from various Japan-only vehicles, leaving you guessing if you'll ever be able to replace it in the future or if it's even gonna fit until you have it in hand.

10. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Heeeey y'all...

I bought a thing. Well, a couple things.
    1 - an industrial grade 3D printer.
    2 - an 86 4runner.

My first prototype is a success. 1982 5MGE to 22RE AFM adapter plate. No longer do you have to use a crappy cone filter. Bolts right to the stock air box.

[​IMG]

I'll begin producing these very soon, along with other Toyota goodies.

11. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Well, this happened.
    [​IMG]
    Steering is ALL fucked up. Other person's insurance is likely going to total it out.

12. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Man, if you read this whole thread I seem like the world's biggest waffle, LOL. Here comes some more...

My truck got wrecked. I schemed on the course of action, and my buddy convinced me to:

Pull the 95 22RE and drop it in the 86 4runner. So that engine comes out tomorrow. Got all my engine refresh goodies ready to go.

See, I was going to put it straight into my 89 that started this whole thing, but I want that truck to be special.
    I pulled my head out of my ass on the 1UZ. It's too much. The swaps that have a 1UZ are rad, but I need some practicality, and this truck will see hundreds and hundreds of dirt road miles every year.

I made the executive decision to PULL the NA 1JZ/W58 from my 82 Supra and put the whole damn thing in the 89.
    It's 90% ready. I need to address the cross member/oil pan interference and wire it up.

Then I'll put the 1UZ VVTi in the Supra. I have a steel plate W58 on hand for that.

This all makes way more sense.
    Tomorrow the 95 becomes a donor. Call it phase 1.