1989 (and now 1995) Xtra Cab build thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mutantcolors, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Geeze dude how many rides do you have? Good find thou!

2. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Currently 3, 2 of which are registered and 1 of which runs LOL.

This truck really takes the pressure off so I can take my time and do the 89 and the Supra right. Wiring is next for the Supra.
    I see the 95 and 89 trading body panels later down the road when the 89 is ready to drive again. Dented up trucks still sell haha.

3. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Oh, I do have a remanufactured 82 Supra AFM I plan to fit to the 22RE.

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    the Suprar AFM, is that for a bigger diameter?

5. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
  6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    do you know the specific bore? how does it compare to the TB?

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

You need to neck up from stock (2.5"?) to 3.25" OD on the pipe, otherwise it's plug and play. Should bolt right to the air cleaner.
    You HAVE to use an 82 5MGE AFM, the other years will not work. Someone at A-1 Cardone took note and started rehabbing them, so they're pretty easy to get now for about $80.
    [​IMG]

8. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Local junkyard sold me an awesome pair of 1990 SR5 4Runner buckets for $40, so that's a thing now for the 1995. Mechanicall lumbar, bolster and tilt adjustment! About the ultimate without having to wire anything if you ask me.

I'm pretty partial to the 60/40 bench in the 89, lots of little shit fits in that middle space, but the buckets are waaaaaay more comfortable than the low end bench I ripped out of the 95.

Pro tip: take the floor mount seatbelt bolt just in case yours is jacked. You will not find them in a hardware store, grade 8 11 x 1.25 x 25-40mm length.

9. Justin Danger

Truck:

Anyone know if this works with the turboed 22RTE?

10. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

In the back of my brain, yotarip mentioned running one on 22RTE before he got known for V8s.

Short answer is, if it's the same one as 22RE stock, then yes.

EDIT: btw I was wrong about it directly bolting up, the attachment bolt pattern to the air box doesn't work. I drew up a coupler for my friend to 3D print, our you can go cone filter on the end of the AFM.
    I've seen reports of power loss from running "upgraded" filters on 22RE, and there's not much power to lose to start with so I have not completed this yet.

11. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Shit just got real.

Entire 1999 GS400 acquired for $400.

Bocks and jetas like this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Uh oh!

13. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    How did you pull that off? And pictures please

14. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I'm a master at scouring craigslist ;)

Really just luck and good timing, combined with knowing what I was looking for. It is lightly wrecked (hood and radiator damage) and it's in limp mode, but she runs. 200K on the odometer, not even a concern to me. Timing belt was done at 140K and she was generally cared for other than the pile of McDonald's garbage they left inside.

It's currently out back with that sweet ass 300hp VVTi powerplant hiding from the rain under a tarp.

I will be sticking to my plan to start off auto and get her running in the 89, then swapping in the W58. One huge battle at a time.

15. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Sold the master cylinder for half what I paid for the whole car, so now I'm $200 in on 99% of a Lexus GS400.

I figure I'll have to either swap oil pans or mod the front end a fair amount to get this beast in, since it's not an LS400 (ideal for sump fitment as I recall) but for the price I paid, you just accept some collateral damage.

And if I can't get the Lexus subframes to play nice with my Supra, I can try stuffing it under the pickup.

I'm pretty interested in setting up with the Ford 8.8 out back, as has been proven to be a viable and easy upgrade. Can't wait to cruise on a 3.08 LSD for road trips.

Orlando Muniz likes this.
  16. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I dug around for more info on the Ford rear end swap and it looks like I'll have to settle for a 3.27 ratio diff if I want LSD, which is totally fine. Between that and the 10% longer gears of the W58, this thing may stand a chance of getting traction below 3rd gear and will absolutely gobble up freeway with fantastic MPG.

Here's a link to some Ford rear end stuff I found very useful.
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

17. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Just sayin'

[​IMG]

18. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Been a few.

Most of my updates are on the 82 Supra. That project is in GO mode because its current home is going on the market real soon.
    Bought wheels for it last night because it's about that time.
    [​IMG]

Supra progress is truck progress because the Supra on the road means time to tear into the truck.
    I did bag a very, very clean set of 4Runner fenders a couple weeks ago, so that was cool.

My buddy who has been providing garage/knowledge for the Supra is selling so he can buy a shop with a lift, and the truck is slated to be the first project at the new place.

19. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

There's a guy locally selling a Celica AllTrac and a spare 3SGTE and I started thinking...what if I did a 3SGTE AWD pickup?

That would be rad, that's what.

Maybe in my next lifetime LOL

20. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

In keeping with my epic craigslist buys, I gave a kid $650 for this 1989 Xtracab.
    [​IMG]
    Ideal candidate to become my 1UZ/A650E project. It's a stock auto, so it's a guilt free auto swap.
    Cleaner body and interior than my first 89.

Gonna do a 22RE shuffle and get MY truck back on the road, Frankenstein the 95 I have been driving back together after it donates its gear to my 89 and sell it. Keep both Xtracabs and call it a win.

In other news, I went down the AWD pickup rabbit hole some more and found a factory 1JZGE/AWD setup from a Chaser. More research to come, but it looks closely related to 4Runner/4x4 parts. So far, very promising.