1989 (and now 1995) Xtra Cab build thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mutantcolors, Jan 19, 2017.

1. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Jesus Christ.
    Take note from my posts in this thread, if anyone is reading. THERE IS NO EASY REAR SUMP SOLUTION TO A SWAP IN AN 89-95 TOYOTA PICKUP.

So I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on - fuck it and buy whatever I want and fab the rest, or try to start rear sump and fab the couple things that have to change.

Option 1 = a few decent engines available including that 2GR, even though it's fucking transverse so yeah...
    Option 2 = one of two Lexus SC engines, excluding the 430 = 2JZ or 1UZ.

I've spun circles on this 40 times. You can grab a couple obvious choices like Taco motors and stock 22R/RE, or go balls out with a JZ/UZ.

There isn't really much in between.

2. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I made a purchase last week.

As of today I am the owner of an 1999 SC300 W58 transmission. The bellhousing is destined for the Supra, but the tranny itself? Xtra cab bound. 8% longer gears = 8% better MPG, which is another way of saying a much better highway cruising experience, which this truck sees/has seen/will see a lot of.

Plus it'll have no need for a tranny geared just for a truck with 100hp :waytogo:

And if you can read between the lines, you'll see that I'm back on board with the Lexus 2J transplant.

Edit - I got curious and dug up SC300 info, must be a 97 or older tranny, manuals were discontinued in 98.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  3. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I accicentally found this picture, one I was looking for and thought I had lost. My truck with Mt. Borah, the highest peak in Idaho in the background, on my way out from hiking to the top.

[​IMG]

4. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I test drove a car today, in hopes it could be a cheap driver for now...
    ...and a parts car for the truck later.

It was an SC400.

I feel good about the option of getting a whole SC400 and going auto, for now. I can get my beloved truck back without parts hunting for weeks, and bite off the 1UZ to manual transmission battle later down the road.

Nets me an entire subframe that could find it's way under my Supra, too.

5. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

So, wait, you are or are not sitting on a JZ and now also about to pull the trigger on a uz?
    Either way, I like your thinking.

6. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I have the 1J just about ready to go, but I decided it belongs in my 82 Supra. Much faster/easier swap, and I'm okay with taking the "just get it running" approach on that car, even if it is more desirable than my truck.

Then I can take my time and do the truck the justice it deserves. The Supra is good to go other than, you know, the old 5MGE was getting bitchy and I sold critical components off of it in preparation for this swap.
    There are all sorts of goodies for that project in my house right now, dual core aluminum radiator, electric fans, lightweight flywheel and new clutch kit, motor mounts...just gotta get it to my buddy's garage when he's not traveling for work.

Once that's handled, I will pick up the donor SC400. I was gonna buy the one today, a '92, and use it as a driver in the interim but that car was a disaster. But that sweet, sweet powertrain was not.

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

It dawned on me that the 1UZ weighs 30, yes 30lbs more than the 22RE. 335 vs 364 are the best numbers I found. That's just crazy.
    JZs are closer to 600lbs if I'm not mistaken.

8. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

The availability of the 3UZ occurred to me last night, I'll probably end up with the motor from whichever donor car best presents itself when the time comes, which is getting sooner and sooner.

Can't lose with either 1UZ or 3UZ in my eyes.

9. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
  10. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

The 3uz electronics are more complicated to wire up. A friend of mine swapped one into an ae86 and some components of the CANs system must be used. I swapped a 3uz in my supra but it's running the 1uz vvti ecu and harness. The 1uz VVTI would be a better/easier option. Same hp rating as the 3uz but just 20 ft/lbs less torque (on paper).

11. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Ah ha, I came across your Supra on YT before I ever joined this forum, didn't realize you had some wiring voodoo in play. Thanks for the pro tip.

12. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

13. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Oh man.

Gonna go check out a 1997 SC400...that's already converted to manual.

14. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    post some pics of it!

15. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Gah, it got sold out from under me. $1500 for a manual swapped 1997, which would be VVTi.

Fuck.

16. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Ah man thats too bad

17. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I know, I could have daily driven it for the time being as well.

18. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

19. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

My stable grew by one today. 1995, 138k miles.[​IMG]

20. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

This thing is clean and fun to drive. Just losing some clear coat off the top.
    [​IMG]

Now that I have this '95 shorty, I'm looking at all the stuff I can rip out of my '89 and put to use.
    Since I'm DDing the '95, the power steering is very tempting. It's fully operational and ready for me to move over. That'd make the DD experience much more pleasant.