1974 Barn Find RN22 Toyota Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 74RN22, Oct 24, 2019.

1. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Well about time that I did an update. The project is getting back on track today.

I removed the 5 speed transmission today to inspect the flywheel that I had installed a long while back since I was looking for the Lighten flywheel that I had for this build, only to realize that the flywheel was already installed on this engine.

But I think I only installed a regular new clutch on this build. The stage III will be too aggressive for everyday street use, but it looks so good that I’m still considering the installation. One step at a time for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have to still rebuild the carburetors for this engine since it has been so long that I can’t remember which carbs I had issues with before this. Better to be sure so that I don’t have to do this again.

Erwin Merida and Pearce like this.
  2. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Fontana-285/

Well, I found out that my favorite junkyards had a photo inventory of all of their cars and when you click on the photo, other photos of that specific vehicle are displayed.

So hunting for spare parts are now really easier than the long walks wondering if they have your model year range on display.

Check your states listings for where you can find that hard to find part.

example while it lasts:
    https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Anaheim-265/recents/
    1975 Toyota Hilux listed under the search title: Toyota pickup

in Anaheim California

jetas likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn that truck looks pretty complete

4. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Can possibly be purchased with a salvage title if no one has disturbed it. That photo was from December 2019...

5. Toyoterra

Toyoterra Newbie

Truck:
    72 RN22 / 86 4runner
    Thank you for that, I now have my weekend planned

74RN22 likes this.
  6. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    And don't forget the swap meet on Sunday 19th...

7. Toyoterra

Toyoterra Newbie

Truck:
    72 RN22 / 86 4runner
    yeah thanks I've had that on my calendar since December

8. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    I think that I will head backwards on my build, de-stroke my 18RC to a 8-RC build.

Why, I bought a NOS 8-RC head on Ebay for a great price and spent more towards a NOS Crankshaft this weekend. A friend here has an old 8-RC that I can get bored.

Two years ago, I purchased some old high compression pistons from Australia for a 6-RC, 8-RC engine 20mm and 40mm oversize. Raised dome instead of flat top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My friend is itching to get rid of that block and I want to know how these older engines ran before the Gas crisis in the early 70's. What would those engines sound like and all. I'll see what it sound like on a engine run stand first will be my goal.
    (So Bored!!!! that's why I want to do it!)

Can't wait for this social distancing to end so I can have my second set of hands over to aid me in my madness!!

Pearce likes this.
  9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Being someone that likes a motor to have high rpms I like this build plain. Just learned how how a big fator in achieving high rpms is low piston speed.

74RN22 likes this.
  10. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    It seems like something that I should try. I always wonder if a manufacture walked away from an old design too soon. That is why I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about the older Japanese engine stuff.

If there is a hint of performance available at now a low cost for old parts, I think it should be attempted first before I install something guaranteed to have me paying a big fine for something that I just got caught doing...

No officer, I do not know that I was breaking traction for the last two blocks, not in this old thing!!

Pearce likes this.
  11. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, I'm sixty-six years old sweating outdoors to install the backup 18R-C engine since the OEM engine was trashed. Just to finally update my progress. The sweat was worth it. Much more to do but at least something positive.

I wish that I could have found the AC mounting bracket that bolted to this block so that I could install A.C.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Erwin Merida, Pearce and Perkolator like this.
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Nice to see you at it again.

13. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Thank You, what I realize is now it takes a bit more effort to get things done. Got to find odd items that I still have to install. Need this vehicle as a local run-around to bring stuff back and forth from the machine shop 20 or seventy miles away.

I was able to source both front and rear windshields for both my1974 Hilux and my 1973 Toyota Celica. Since I believed that all of the old or new glass had dried up, not true. Any Glass shop can source dozens of warehouses online.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Pearce likes this.
  14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    That's pretty much what I had figured out. As long as it's not a super rare vehicle you can probably find glass for it. Found a site before that offered a huge selection. I still need to replace my windshield. I was going to pull it off this summer and see if I have any repairs to do. Didn't get around to it. I fight above my weight at work all week that I need my down time.

15. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    I do believe these are now rare. I have been searching for a replacement Radiator since I want to make sure it is a serviceable item. Not one to be on the side of the road because I cheaped out! Any suggestions for a brand or source for this would be a great help send me your suggestions.

16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I know a thread was recently started by another member about one. As far as a remember part numbers are listed in there. I think rockauto is about the only place that might have one. I went after market and with the pre face-lift trucks it's tight fitting anything larger then stock.

17. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    The details about why I did not install the 18RG were an odd decision. Due to the current transmission shape and size, I was not able to remove the old transmission and the old engine as a single unit. I had not seen this transmission with the side-mounted shifter. I'm only finding four shift positions, quote, Today with everything installed it now shifts to all four gears and reverse.

Once I did the inspection and attempted t remove some seriously rusted bolts that secure the cross member for the transmission.

Too Hot outdoors and the replacement 5 Speed appears to be a length that would require a new drive shaft. After I source a replacement mounting cross for a five-speed then I'll consider this swap in the future. What year did these trucks receive a floor mount five-speed?

There are so many torn wires and a few areas that require a bit of effort and a good wiring diagram.

Was able to find and install a radiator so it now looks a bit more assembled. Currently raining so will connect the hoses up when the ground is dry

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  18. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Today family friends stopped by so kind of great that I was not really planning to complete much more this week on working on this Truck today... Too bloody hot and humid. Another month and a half and the weather will be perfect until the end of spring.

Well, I have gone all over these storage areas to see where I possibly may have misplaced the clutch pedal pins and return spring assemblies! I have rechecked the internal areas of the truck interior and the rear truck bed for the smallest item, but no pins or springs. since I basically left everything within a secure area, it falls back on my memory or shoulders to find and install these items.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    jetas likes this.
  19. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Member

What oil pan are you using to clear the steering arms, ?

20. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    I used the original oil pan from the OEM 18R-C that I had pulled.

Jim Thompson likes this.