1972 hilux disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by ttant, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Gonna bump this again for my truck. I got a 74 Hilux and was wondering if there are any options for the rears to be swapped to disc as well as the front. Anyone know of anything?

2. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Ford Explorer 8.8, cut the driver side to passenger side length then use two passenger side axle shafts.

3. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Thanks so much! What about master and booster? Would the stock hardware be able to handle everything?

4. bigpanda16

bigpanda16 Newbie

Truck:
    78 chinook
    I just got done with swapping 77 disc spindles onto my 71 Hilux. I used new 76 lower ball joints as they are larger on the later spindle. I do not know the year break on the lower ball joint, may be 72? The upper worked fine.
    The steering knuckle also had a larger hole than my 71 tie rods, temporarily I have used an m12 washer and got it to tighten down. The steering knuckles look to be interchangeable from drum to disc spindles but I will mess with that later.
    All I need to do now is re grease the bearings and tighten them down and swap the steering knuckles. I have new rotors and calipers and pads but everything on these junk yard units seems to be in order so I may keep them for my other Toyota pickup, a 78 model.

I have used a 74 celica master cylinder as it had all the fixings to work with my 4-bolt brake booster, bottom pressure sensors and side hard line outputs. Plus this master has resivoirs fixed to it so I got rid of the crappy external reservoir. No proportioning valve or any other hardline changes. Just the soft lines need to be changed. The truck now will nose down and stop without pumping multiple times and is much more confidence inspiring.

These are my experiences in my disc conversion.

So if anyone here on Toyota minis wants(I'm in GA) these drum brakes, you can have them cheap.
    I have a few wheel cylinder rebuild kits, one new wheel cylinder, other three do work, two new soft lines and three good shoes which I have not been able to find new. 71 RN12 parts. [email protected]

5. bigpanda16

bigpanda16 Newbie

Truck:
    78 chinook
    I should disclose that my lower control arm did need slight hole drilling on the three m8 holes and slight filing for the m10 hole to fit the newer but generally the same style lower ball joint

6. bigpanda16

bigpanda16 Newbie

Truck:
    78 chinook
    Update: I bought 76 outer tie rods and they fit my tie rod sleeves no problem and tighten up properly in the steering knuckles bolted to my new disc spindles. I’m loving having four pistons, some bite and firmness from the pedal and being able to nose down the truck in the event that it is needed.
    Next I’d like to get a newer (76-78)center link so I can upgrade the idler arm but I do not want to lose my manual steering box. Doing my rag joint soon..