jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hood release is like a bike brake cable

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Totally, I'm actually a part time bike mechanic so I wonder if it is fixable. The retainer end cap on the latch end came off, so pulling the lever in the cab just moves the cable and housing together.

After dealing with that gas tank I'm ready for something easy!

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I added a reservoir for windshield washer fluid, "smooth is fast".

20200510_130009[1].jpg

I also went back to my old AFM. I was getting too much air flow and reaching fuel cut on my ECU. I thoroughly cleaned the hoses and painted the parts.

20200512_161147[1].jpg

4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Took a 60 mile drive today, things felt pretty good. I drove up to Skyline ridge on the peninsula and cruised along for a while. I was heating up pretty hot on the drive up the hillside, but that was the only heat issue I had the whole drive. Temps were getting close to 212F with both fans on. Nothing boiled over or anything, so it was all fine.

20200521_122350[1].jpg

20200521_122423[2].jpg

Driving along Skyline was pretty sweet, lots of beautiful views.

20200521_122635[1].jpg

20200521_122658[1].jpg

20200521_122709[1].jpg

Not dying on this drive, go away vultures!

20200521_122739[1].jpg

The worst problem I had was while driving on the highway. At speeds over 60mph the whole engine started surging. The ARFs were oscilating, and it felt like I was stomping my foot on and off the gas repeatedly. I only drove 1 exit like that, and got off and drove under 60mph the rest of the drive.

5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Did some interior work.

The other day I did some "recalibrating" on my boost gauge and ended up busting it, so I decided to reconsider my gauges.

I ended up ordering a couple digital display gauges for temp and boost that are on their way. Instead of the wood panel to the left of the main cluster, and jenky wooden thing I had on top of my dash for the excess gauges, I decided to integrate them into the dash itself. For this, I sacrificed the center air vents, and installed a hot rod style finned aluminum gauge mount. In place of the gauge that was on the left, I just made an aluminum cover panel.

20200523_131031.jpg

20200523_130821.jpg

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've had an exhaust tip laying around for a while now, I got it for my new exhaust system but was fond of the round raw pipe sticking out at first. Now I'm reconsidering.

20200525_102428[1].jpg

It is a black double slant for a charger or something. Any thoughts? I could also angle the ends so they are parallel with the body line.

7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Went for another drive today, golly was it hot. 98 degrees at the top of Skyline, but a beautiful drive none the less. I stopped at one point to get a nice view of the bay and some pictures.

20200526_121514sm.jpg

20200526_121525sm.jpg

20200526_121551sm.jpg

20200526_121600sm.jpg

20200526_121730sm.jpg

20200526_121655sm.jpg

20200526_121708_HDRsm.jpg

I reinstalled my door panels a couple days ago

20200526_121839_HDRsm.jpg

20200526_121853_HDRsm.jpg

20200526_121824_HDRsm.jpg

Levi likes this.
  8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    New digital boos gauge is installed, just need to fit it into the bezel better. One thing that I really likeabout this one is that I can cha ge the color and brightness when i turn the lights on. I chose a turquoise to match my wideband for daylight, andswitch to amber to match the rest of the dash lights when they come on.

20200604_145439.jpg

20200604_145441.jpg

The new temp gauge comes in Monday, same line of gauges, so i can synchronize the color change.

I'm doing some repair work on my horn button as well. It floats on the spring in the center, and should have three tabs sticking out to hold it in, but one broke, so I will try to use some sculpting epoxy to make a new tab.

9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Loved finding this!

85turbopickupAD.jpg

Oh what a feeling indeed, grrrrrr hahaha.

I started a new job and have been spending more time driving the truck than working on it. I do plan to work on the rear suspension today. I've got a couple 1" block to install in the rear to level things out. I am worried that the shocks that I am running are too soft and that my axle will get a little to intimate with the frame, so I might put the coiled shocks back on only in the rear.

I also finished fitting the gauges in the dash, and they look so nice! I'll try to get a pic of that up too.

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    So here are the gauges all cleaned up. The temp is in Celsius, but thats alright. ( a lavender plant grows in my yard right outside the passenger's side door, so I usually get to have a natural air freshener going on!)

20200621_122515.jpg

These gauges come with an alarm I can set for certain points, so I set the boost gauge to beep at 10psi, and I set the temp gauge to beep at 100*. I have my e-fans on a manual switch, and sometimes don't pay the best atgention, so I figure 100* will let me know when I've slacked off on turning the fans on.

I also made a little plaque for the grille, had no idea how much of a difference it would make.

20200621_122713_HDR.jpg

I finished the rear suspension work earlier, and was so disappointed in the rear shocks when I removed them. I was comparing compressed lengths of them to my Monroes by clamping down on them with a ratchet strap. The compressed length was just what I expected, but when I took the strap off, they expanded halfway, then froze. I don't want my shocks freezing halfway through travel!
    I reinstalled the Monroes that have a coil built in and figured that would help prevent bottoming out on my frame and get rid of those POS Gabriels. The spring assisted shocks plus 1" drop blocks ended up in losing only about half on inch of height in the back. Half an inch isn't much, but it definitely looks better. Time will tell how it handles.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    yotarip likes this.
  11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Took the scenic route through the mountains after work today to grab a couple cold brews and a good burger at the ol' new Alpine Inn.

Resized_20200729_160015.jpeg

jetas likes this.
  12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Relocated my gauges. They were hard to see in sunlight on the dash, so i got a pillar cluster.
    20201002_121522.jpg

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pillar pod looks good

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Thanks! It is alright. The bottom gauge faces me, but the upper 2 are facing someone who has their head through the roof. Luckily the LED gauges i have are super visible. Also wish it had factory mount points, I always hate having to drill holes in my truck!

Up next is a 'new' remanned steering box. The used manual box I've been using for years is super sloppy and always has been. I'll be installing that and a new steering wheel in the next couple weeks.

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've been DFing the truck for a few months, and am getting around to fixing a few bugs in the system. The first and moat annoying was the steering gearbox.
    When I switched feom power to manual steering, I just got a used box to put in. It had a little slop, and that has only gotten worse and worse over time. I found a remanned unit online, and bought it. While waiting for it to arrive I realized that a new 4wd pitman arm is very easy to find, but one for a 2wd is impossible. I then proceeded to break every puller I had before dishing out the 15$ for a dedicated pitman arm puller. After that, everything went smoothly. I took a short jaunt, and steering feels so nice and tight.
    Next on the list was my EGR valve. When I was having issues a while back, I blocked off the valve where it enters the upper plenum. Since things have been running nicely, I decided to take out my blocker. Driving around town was fine, but at highway speeds the engine presented with it's occasional buck again. I guess I now know what the problem is, and either need to try cleaning that thing or replacing it. I would like it functional again considering my MPGs have dropped a bit since blocking it off.
    Last "bug" was my igniton. I've been running the stock system for a while, and things have been fine, but I wanted to try reinstalling the FAST system that I got from LCE. I was able to scrounge up my old wiring diagrams and got it hooked up. I then set idle and timing. The timing seemed to be jumping around a bit, which i found odd, but I set it best I could. While test driving I noticed a stumble when starting from a stop. Acceleration was responsive after the stumble, but the stumble was from every single stop, and quite annoying. I checked idle, timing, and all of the wiring, and drove for a few days. I couldn't get things to run right, so I just went back to stock, and will probably never install that FAST system again.

Lost somewhere in the san francisco usps distribution center is a new steering wheel adapter and new steering wheel I ordered. With the new gauge pillar I decided to get something a little more sporty. Updates to come...

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Sporty feel

20201010_105923.jpg

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Luckily usps is good with reimbursement if its truly lost. I've had stuff that a seller poorly packaged that must of fell out at sorting and I had no problem getting my money back.

18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Shipping info now shows that the wheel has successfully reached Guam.

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Took an evening cruise up twisty hill roads the other evening that was driven to the soundtrack of squealing tires and turbo whistles... gosh I need a seat with better bolstering! haha

Turns out that my radiator had a leak in it. I ended up losing so much coolant that the system overheated and blew a coolant pipe off. Luckily since I transitioned to copper pipes that just means sticking it back in the hose and clamping it up again.

The radiator is 3 1/2 years old, which is longer than I expected the thing to last (cheap aluminum), so now I'm in search for a new one. I've found a 4 core mustang radiator that fits the dimensions that I'm looking for, and it comes with a 3 year warranty, so I might hop at that.

My steering wheel (that came from Phoenix, AZ) has made it out of Guam, and is now in Hawaii. Maybe some day after it's vacation I might get to put it on my truck.

20. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: