jumping speedo

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by coy, Jan 23, 2020.

1. coy

coy Member

so when its cold, the speedo would randomly jump allover the place. i'd be going 5-10 mph but it'll jump wildly. when its warm, it would do it still, but not as much. what should I investigate first?

I know its cable driven. i'm not sure if its the cluster that's having issues or the cable. I also noticed when its pegged past 120, the whole needle kinda moves in a circle.

I did remove the cluster to change the bulbs to LED when I first got it, but it didn't have an issue till about the 6th time I drove it.

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Did you disconnect the cable from the cluster when you pulled it for the LED swap? I have taken mine out a few times (cable driven as well) and I have had really odd issues with my speedo if it was re-connected funny or off. The pin has to go in the hole, and has to go deep enough for the clip to click in.

3. coy

coy Member

yeah. I did. but ive driven it a few times after and all of a sudden it does this..?? I checked to see if it was plugged in all the way the first time it did it, and it seemed snug. I didn't unplug and plug it back in again. i'll do that again to try and re-seat it.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Make sure its nice and greased up

5. coy

coy Member

I read that's what you do if its 'wiggling'. my issue is that I would go 10mph and the damn thing jumps all over the place!!

6. RaceLab

RaceLab Newbie

did you resolve the issue? i was thinking it would either be a binding speedo cable or a worn speedo driven gear where the speedo connects to the trans...