The life of my '93

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Clay, May 16, 2018.

1. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    I did the battery and airbox swap. There isn't a lot to say about this. You have to unravel the wire loom and re-route the wires for the throttle body. The wires are long enough though. For the battery you'll have to extend the positive wire and make a new ground spot.

I used some weld-nuts as my base:
    [​IMG]

I put some super glue on the ends and then set my little bent tray on top.
    [​IMG]

Well, the super glue had a 75% success rate. lol. From here I welded them (the glue was just for placement).
    [​IMG]

And for added support I put on this brace:
    [​IMG]

*poof* it's powder-coated:
    [​IMG]

fits nice. cleared the hood. I modified the stock top bar, but it's not in this photo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    For the throttle body/air filter I used this 90 degree rubber tube. Spectre Performance Couplers 8791. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-8791 I think I used part of stock tube to get the diameters to match (but don't quote me on that, it's been a while since i did this and my memory isn't the best).

[​IMG]

I welded up a small rod and plate so the throttle body wasn't hanging off the front of the engine. the air filter is just a cheap paper filter.
    [​IMG]

It's coming together (woot!):
    [​IMG]

Haku71 likes this.
  3. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    I wanted to add A/C but, man was that a project. I ended up in about 4 junkyards and hitting people up on CL trying to find everything i needed. You should know that not every truck has the same equipment. Somewhere along the line they changed the fittings on the lines. I ended up with a bunch of parts just to find one setup that would work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was able to clean it up nice though:
    [​IMG]

Ultimately I bought new compressor, condenser, evaporator, and a couple switches. Still worth it. A/C is so nice.

---

at this point my funds were running thin so I got aftermarket grill, bumper, valance, and turn signals.
    [​IMG]

Aftermarket works, but you have to make it work. This bumper was rippled so badly from the press that I used some glaze putty to clean it up. I guess i shouldn't complain since the aftermarket is still available, but jeez. it's like 3/4 of the way there is good enough.

[​IMG]

Some fresh paint and several hours of fitting it, here it is:
    [​IMG]
    (btw, the plastic aftermarket parts were pretty good actually. it's just the stamped metal that suffers).

91_yota likes this.
  4. Bocks

Bocks Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    Nice work. The effort and attention to detail are paying off. Will be keeping up to date.

5. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    thanks

6. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    I did the interior in spurts, but for sake of simplicity I'll just cover it in one post.

Stripped it all out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish toyota had taken the time to treat this bar.

[​IMG]

i'm fairly certain the PO preferred his drinks on the floor instead of a cup.
    [​IMG]

With a hose, lots of elbow grease, and a strong greaser i got it pretty clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seat was cleaned to:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought sound deadener from Noice. I got way too much and i used way too much. The rule I later learned was 60% coverage is enough. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used an old plastic shower curtain to replace the film on the inside of the door. That was.. well the lazy option.
    [​IMG]

The door card/skins are in good shape. I wish the PO hadn't cut a hole for a speaker. But what is done is done and I just ended up putting a new speaker in it's place.[​IMG]

like new, yeah?:
    [​IMG]

final note: I had so much sound deadening mat left over I put it on the hood.... which btw did nothing and I feel it was a complete waste of time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  7. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    [​IMG]
    First drive!

Just like getting it back form paint; this was a huge moment. sigh of relief and also a lot of anxiety. Overall it was pretty smooth. Learned a few things. Like I desperately wanted a tach and I did not like the shocks. But we put on a few miles and made it home just fine. I had the windows tinted later that week. I tried to keep it tasteful and went fairly light on the tint.

[​IMG]

this isn't the end of the story. I'll be back to post more as I have time.

Weekendwarrior and 91_yota like this.
  8. redman

redman Enthusiast

Looks nice. Good attention to detail.

9. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)

When the heck did you pull the engine!? Everything is coming out stellar, dude.

10. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    thanks!

This photo, like the rest of the interior, are out of order. I did the interior in between the rest of the project. to be specific I pulled the engine back in the beginning.

11. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Yikes, would you say that all Pace-Setter products are trash? I've been considering one for my 18R-C.
    Great build btw!

12. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    I can't speak for all their products, just this truck/engine combo. From what I've seen, Pace-setter is more budget friendly than other brands. So keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Thanks

13. enserio

enserio Newbie

Truck:
    1992 Single Cab
    Your work is truly inspiring.

Clay likes this.