Newbie wants to slam a '71

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by toydatto, Aug 9, 2009.

1. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    87 Dually, 71 Hilux(sold), 73 Corona MarkII Wagon(sold), 72 Datsun 510 wagon
    Thanks! After some research, I thought this notch would serve the purpose. I even had the forethought to weld in a nut at the top to take a bumpstop.:) My front crossmember is a little under an inch from the ground and I'm sitting on my steering stabilizer bracket at the moment. When I get the weight of the bed on, we'll see how far the back drops and I'll do some tweaking.

Before I put it on the ground, I actually experimented with flipped ball joints and modified uppers but turns out i don't need them as the ball joints are in the stock location at the moment. I will use the flip as my ace in the hole to get it a little lower when the time comes. Love your truck, BTW. I think its great that you drive it that low on cut springs.

2. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    Yeah- stock tank looks HUGE!

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Thanks! And yeah, I'm actually not that much higher up front then. Lol. I have less than 2". And keep use posted on the setup. I'm loving it so far. Maybe I will bag the front someday. Notch is a higher priority lol. I have like 1/2" to the frame.

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    come on...more pics...i wanna see this thing with a bed on it. and maybe a little less sidewall. a 195/65/14 looks great on these trucks. should get you onto the ground too if those are still 75s

5. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    I'm working on the driver's side notch today. Its a priority of mine to see it with the bed too.:clapping: I'm hoping to mock it up by tomorrow. The tires in the recent pics are 185/65/14s. got rid of the 75s as soon as I could.

standardbyker, do you have any problems with axle wrap just having the one leaf in the back? I have two plus the smaller overload at the moment.

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    lol. to have axle wrap i would need more traction than power. my little 195s in the back of an unloaded longbed just spin. lol. itll bark them into 3rd gear on occation though. but actually no, with as much drop as i have it isnt an issue. i have the main and overload, and a 4-1/2" block. might be that i bolted the block to the leafs via a common pin.

and cool. they looked shorter but i wasnt sure. NOW GET CIN TO OFF HIS 75S! :ROFL::D

7. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    I need to start an actual build thread but in the meantime, here are the results of setting on the bed. I underestimated the weight of the bed and need about 1.5" more. The lower picture has some weight in the bed. Everything fits and I don't even have to cut a hole for the pumpkin.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    Looks good man! I'm really digging this thing :love:

9. superspirtoulis

superspirtoulis Newbie

Truck:
    74' HILUX RN25 12R
    I agree it looks very nice and will be even better in the future, keep tuning your truck!Also very nice wagon, it seems to be a hard work project to keep it in this condition...very nice work! We wait more photos of your new project, so i can see some tuning stages for my own one! :D

10. standardbyker88

Truck:
    nice. thats still a hell of a lot more axle/frame clearance than i have. haha. ill have to get on doing one of those.

11. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck: