WTB W58 Trans

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Baja_Mutt, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Baja_Mutt

Baja_Mutt Newbie

Truck:
    93 base
    Hey guys!

Lookin for a w58 to swap into my mini, don't really care which year but if it already has a 22re compatible bellhousing/tailshaft that's a bonus!!

I think my rear main is leaking but I might as well do the swap when I go in to fix it...

Thanks!

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Did you find one?

Btw.. what roof rack are you using?

3. Baja_Mutt

Baja_Mutt Newbie

Truck:
    93 base
    I did actually! A shop called Happy Transmissions specifically rebuilds w58's up in Oak Harbor, WA. Great guy, had it done in like 3 days.

Roof rack is a yakima Qclip system, it can be kinda hard to find the clips since they don't make em anymore, but it's nice that it's all modular. If I wanted to swap it over to another car I'd just need different clips and maybe longer/shorter bars.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    That's awesome! You got lucky, I'm from SoCal and believe me its still hard to find shops dedicating to old toyota transmissions that won't charge you an arm and a leg! Thanks for the reply! I and some other people in this site have been asking about which clips work with our cabs. And of course, their discontinued. Haha

5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Any more info on the setup you went with? What year gears? Are you matting this gearbox to a 22re? Which tail shaft did you go with? Im headed down the same path.

6. Baja_Mutt

Baja_Mutt Newbie

Truck:
    93 base
    It's an '85 celica supra gearset, with a 22re bellhousing and a w55 tailshaft. Pretty cool that all these w series transmissions have interchangeable parts. Shifts great!

I am having an issue with first though, it keeps popping out almost like it's not completely going into gear. I can hold it in as I let the clutch out and then it's fine, but otherwise when I let the clutch out it pops right out. We're thinking either a bent gear selector or maybe my clutch isn't totally disengaging? Kinda having a hard time diagnosing without dropping the tranny again lol

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Just by coincidence, I read something disconcerting on my.is (Lexus ISxxx website) a couple days ago. They're saying that the W58 bellhousing, and therefore the W58 input shaft, is 1/2" shorter (front to back) than the W55 bellhousing (and input shaft). This means the bellhousings are NOT universally interchangeable. That is, to install a W58 on our 22R trucks, you must buy a W58 that came from a 22R Celica. I want to install a W58 in my IS300 (w/ 2JZ) so I must buy a W58 from a SC300. Otherwise the input shaft will NOT be long enough to fit into the pilot bearing...

Furthermore, even if you have the right trans/bellhousing, it is 1/2" shorter and may not fit the rear trans mount...

Can anyone verify/disprove this?

Back on topic, IF the above is actually true, that may be your problem. If you have a 85 Supra W58, then it had a 7M (?) bellhousing. So you'd need a 22R, W58 bellhousing or else your input shaft would not be properly located by or seated in the pilot bearing, causing your shifting issues...

Erwin Merida likes this.
  8. Baja_Mutt

Baja_Mutt Newbie

Truck:
    93 base
    Not really sure about this, but seems to fit mine just fine? All the other gears shift just fine, just first I'm having trouble with, so I may have gotten lucky but I don't know. To my understanding the transmission is the same all the way through, but it is the steel plate from the old celica supras, not the newer alloy plate trans from the SC or IS cars. My assumption is that they wouldn't have changed something like input shaft length and kept the same designation for the trans. I know the input shaft is longer on the R series transmissions, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    No, unfortunately, they're talking about W58 vs. W55:

https://www.my.is/threads/w58-swap-questions-and-answers.330393/

This has bummed me out until I find more info. I want to do THREE W55 to W58 swaps. The IS300 REALLY needs it. It's ridiculous. At 70MPH, engine is turning 3100RPM. I suppose they had to gear it so short because the VVTi 2JZ in the IS300/GS300 is so detuned to a paltry 215hp...

10. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Bellhousing must be for the 22r W58.

11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Also, don't use the w50 bell housing..

12. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I changed my W55 for the W58, on my 88 Extra Cab,with a 22RE ( LC engine )
    Used my W55 tail shaft housing , all fit & works fine. The W58 was out of the same year Supra
    Tail shaft housing are the same it is the shifter shaft that is different,locates the shifter further back.
    You can just change that shat out.

Out the trans from a guy in Salinas ,Ca, he buys & sells Toyota stuff, & does ship.I just went down there to get it.

13. Baja_Mutt

Baja_Mutt Newbie

Truck:
    93 base
    Update regarding the first gear issues :

Certain years used certain fork linkage it seems, which match up to the case from that year, so the first gear selector shaft was binding on the case. We replaced that with a newly machined shaft, and all was good!