Wiring a complete shut off switch

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by J.inandjuice, Aug 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. J.inandjuice

J.inandjuice Newbie

So I’m trying to wire a complete shut off switch for my 83 Hilux, rules at my local track require it because I relocated my battery to the rear bed corner. The problem I’m finding is even though I disconnect the battery it stays running off of alternator power. I saw a guy run his alt. output straight to the battery so that when he flips the switch the alternator charge is cut off from the system at the battery side of the switch. That was on a different alternator though. I don’t know much about wiring so I overly explained… What I’m asking is how I can shut off the truck from my battery cutoff switch.

I have the externally regulated alt. and an external fuel pump running off engine fuse to a relay.

TIA

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    If you go the same route as you mentioned, you might need to change alternators. Or, find the wire that charges the battery and splice the cut off switch in between that and battery. I believe they also require the switch to be at a certain location/reach might want to double check that.. draw it out before you go cutting wires. My 2 cents

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    J.inandjuice likes this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I would think the guy that has his alt straight to the battery would be running a gm 1 wire conversion.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Im running a Powermaster GM 12SI alt. Actually just upgraded to a 150A. I believe Trail Gear has the brackets for the conversion. That GM Alt can be ran as a 1 wire

Erwin Merida likes this.