White Hornet

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Lowtide671, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Welcome to my new thread guys, tried this a few years ago and well life just kinda happened....
    Little about my self I'm a now former Toyota technician. Ive always had a deep sentimental value for the toyota pickups as they where the last memory of my grandfather whom passed away. Im form Guam a small island in the south pacific and reside in San Antonio Texas.
    Hafa Adai Chelu's
    On to the truck....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    [​IMG]
    The Day When she Was Purchased, Long story short i found the truck on Craigslist for 1500, Went to the guys house and talked Him into 400 bucks... She started with was a good sign but for sure Had a F***** timing cover..

3. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    [​IMG]
    And the start of something REEAALLYYY cool.... the body was really straight and the Rust Thur was pretty minimal
    i wasted no time in tearing into the project...
    [​IMG]
    Look at all that Chaco Milky goodness!!! hahah

4. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Well i guess if it was for this crazy cheap Guide then i would Never of got the Truck to begin With
    [​IMG]
    She under Serious Surgery
    [​IMG]
    Heres that Cover i was telling you guys about hahaha
    [​IMG]
    Ok so here is where i get cheap but looking for a temporary solution, At this point Guys i could of went all out with a complete LCE kit, Cams Exhaust so on and so on but i knew in the back of my mind i was getting ready to Buy my first house and didn't need A lot of things going on, Added stress and expense

I went a had this cheap kit ordered
    [​IMG]
    Hey its Held Up for a really long time now so i can't Knock it......

[​IMG]

5. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    After a Complete Leak Down and Compression Test i Made the Executive Decision That Machining And Block Boiling and all that other fancy Stuff Reeeally was needed seeing as most everything was in good condition to begin with.
    [​IMG]

Replaced Starter contacts and the Fuel Filter
    BTW that filter Was still in great condition
    [​IMG]

Removed the Back Bumper Seeing as how bashed up it was

[​IMG]
    One of these days ill get a proper Roll Pan
    ANNNDDD she's finally on the road
    [​IMG]

6. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Ok so mind you guys At the time of this i was working in the Dealership. Ive got good friends in that place a scored a set of free wheels......
    [​IMG]
    with the Younger siblings
    [​IMG]
    i REALLY couldn't stand the look of her right now.... so we changed things up and look what i the traded to free wheels for
    [​IMG]
    OK DROP TIME. So i went and got lowering blocks for the rear and get them installed with torsion Twist in the front... drive it down the road and catch some pretty wicked vibes..... of i the have my shaft rebalance and U joints replaced and still the same stuffs.... had to add shims... i wanna say they where 5 degrees
    [​IMG]
    Ok so here is where the BIG THANKS goes to members like SDyota, yotarip, Snonuff, and NAM <<< sorry if i botched your name guys. with out these guys projects inspiring me the i would of never of even got this far.....

front valance swapped for you know what and inspired for you ALL should know who...
    [​IMG]

7. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Ok so the truck end up sitting like this for a Good number of years as my life happens.... i ended up buying a house, my daughter ends up getting into things like ballet and swimming and just all the good fun daddy stuff. it dose however put my trucks plans on hold for about 4 years....[​IMG]
    every now and then i would take her out
    [​IMG]
    stroll patrol
    [​IMG]

8. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    BUT THENNNNNNN life settles. and now I've got more time to bring her to new life!!!!
    BTW guys as she sat for about the 4 YEARS the truck became a breeding ground for Hornets and thats where the Name WHITE HORNET came about!!!!!
    so then one day I'm kicking back with the boys and finally decided what the plan was gonna be!!! 2 days later this happened...
    [​IMG]
    ok guys until tonight, I've got a lot more i can post and update

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Good stuff so far. Keep it coming

10. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Welcome and look forward to more of the story.

11. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    So my plans are to 1UZ swap the truck!!! Let the FUN begin:
    [​IMG]
    I found on my local Craigslist a 95 SC400 donor car complete and started to remove all the parts that would be needed for the swap....found it listed for 600 but talked the guy into getting me the car for $420.
    [​IMG]
    By 6:30 the car was dropped off and me and my team went to work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And By 9:00pm
    she's out of their!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    We Finish the complete removal of all the parts from the car around 10:30, clean and all enjoy a ICE COLD BEER!!! wonderfull feeling
    the next day the wrecker comes and pickups up the shell.
    we get the Engine and tranny Separated and beging tear down of the block for rebuild:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With 140k on the clock the motor has no slugged what so every and is in very good shape. we preformed a leak down test and compression test prior to removal and everything is looking good and lovely!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    As for My truck Well over those 4 years of sitting the Very minor Rust Grew just a little. Plan is to rust treat here and their and repaint, por 15 etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    soon to say good bye to the old tired 22re...
    Planning on just cleaning up the window channel a little more and filling with glass filler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lots of sanding sanding
    [​IMG]
    Door Check needs to be welded back in..... i cut this entire section for a truck at the pick n pull
    [​IMG]
    dam rust holes.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Another 1uz truck!

Subscribed!

15. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Welcome! I'm jealous about how many buddies you have that are into and own Toyota minis. I have quite a few but there are outside of a hundred mile radius of my location. You have plenty help getting this together.

Good work and I'll just comment that I have never had issues with the the original head gasket on any of my 1uz swaps. I've swapped 1uz's with 90K on the clock and up to 260K on the clock. The motor in my truck had over 240K when I swapped it and now over 300K hard miles. No headgasket issues at all.

Make sure you grab that throttle cable from the SC400 and that bent 180 degree metal tubing on the heater hose. It will make fitting the uz heater hose to the trucks heater valve easier.

16. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Thanks Guys and @yotarip when i grow up brother i wanna be just like you!!!! Seriously man your truck is KING!!!!
    Little bit of an update for you all, Today i did have an off day and got a few more things done. Cleaned up the front fender and did a few more things to the motor. Water blasted it to clean and resealed oil pans[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OK so here it what i did: Initially i just sprayed down the entire engine with high pressure and that wasn't getting all the far. i went to the dollar store and picked up this stuff call LA Awesome cleaner. Literally this stuff is dirt cheap comes a clear bottle and is piss color but dam dose it work amazing. I've used it before on just general under the hood clean up. highly recommended as its price point is low and it dose a really good job...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

did i mention that stuff will melt carbon on contact...
    [​IMG]

today was a pretty productive day,
    stay tuned guys more to come in a couple of days as the christmas truck is on its way....

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Awesome is the shit.

18. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Is it better than super clean?

I know purple power is junk...smells like watered down super clean, lol.

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dont think ive ever used super clean but for the price i think buying a bottle and trying it out is worth a try

20. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @YOguyDA That LA stuff is some really good S*** brother!!! and cheap to.
    Litte bit of an update for you guys, Been a little busy but had some time today to play.
    The christmas truck showed up with some goodies! a "master gasket kit" from eBay for the 1UZFE
    i must say the quality for the 70 bucks was really nice. Also cleaned the heads today. it all time to go back together with it all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]