What should I look for

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Waystro, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Waystro

Waystro Newbie

1980 2wd 5 speed have some questions about it.
    So first off it’s shows 428xxx on the odometer anything I should be concerned about? She seems to run good has some sqeaks here and there smoke a little bit on start up but goes away. Oh and a leak from header.

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    428,000 miles is not unheard of with an R series engine, I've had 2 vehicles with over a million miles on them. Squeaks and leaks in a vehicle that old is to be expected, along with a few clunks and rattles. Smoke on start-up could be valve seals(most likely) maybe rings, do a compression test. For the squeaks, grease and tightening bolts is a good start, maybe consider rebuilding your suspension and replacing body mounting bushings.

3. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    FYI;
    Your 6th digit is actually the 1/10 mile. The odometer only goes up to 99,999 miles until it rolls over. Unless the previous owner kept good records, you won't be able to tell how times that odometer of your rolled over. When I picked up my 81, the first thing I had to tend to was replace the front main seal as it was leaking pretty bad. I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat and water pump since the pump had to come off to get to it. Hope that helps.

4. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Yes, I do know that. I watched my '77 Celica turn over 13 times. I've done a LOT of driving in my life, even in these years, where I've slowed down, I'm putting 60-70k a year on my cars.