What blocks should I get for my 76?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by joshyman, Mar 12, 2015.

1. joshyman

joshyman Newbie

Truck:
    1976 Hilux
    Hey guys, finding parts for a 76 seems to be tough. I'm wanting to drop mine a bit and already have ordered the mighty max lowering springs for the front.

I was wanting to do an air shock in the rear along with a block and I've never lowered a truck before so this is new to me.

What lowing block should I use? I can't seem to find anything specific to this old of a toyota.

Do these look like they would work?

Pick Up Mini Truck Tacoma Hard Body B2200 B2000 4" lowering Drop Blocks Kit | eBay

2. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    Going to be honest and tell you my first set was a cheap set from the local parts store. I think they were like 25$. You can get a set from beefed taco in any size you want. The cheap set lasted a long time, a lot of guys use em. There isn't really anything specific to a truck when it comes to blocks.

3. AspireCycle

AspireCycle Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed 5 Speed
    I'm ordering all new monroe shocks all the way around from rock auto. The rears will be monroe air shocks. I was also told that I could find a universal lowering block setup from an auto parts store.

4. joshyman

joshyman Newbie

Truck:
    1976 Hilux
    Do you think 4" is too much or does that seems like a good drop? I want to be LOW!

5. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    4" is a good drop. Or at least a good start ;) that's where it started for me. 3" blocks reset leafs, bj flip,, torsion rekey and has now become a bagged sr5 laying frame. I have come to find every truck lays different, with a 3" drop my axel hit the frame, some don't hit with a 4".

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    It all depends how beat the suspension is. For mine i think a 5" rear drop will be enough

7. joshyman

joshyman Newbie

Truck:
    1976 Hilux
    Well it would be safe to assume the suspension is about shot on this thing. Its been rotting in the woods for about 7 years, and I JUST pulled it out to start tinkering. Got it running right, and now I'm ready to start some mods. A drop was the first thing I had in mind.

8. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

I just completed mine, here was my recipe.

Front suspension, mighty max 2.5 lowered coils, combined with tokico HE3346A

Slight modification to the lower control arm is needed due to shock body being
    slightly bigger. Dremel the hole about 1/16 of an inch till the shock slides in.

Rear suspension was 3inch block, With modification to leaf pack. Combined with monroe max air shocks.

The leaf pack needs to be rearranged, Remove the center leaf following be installing the overload leaf ( shortest, thickest one) on top of the single leaf left.

This cost $410, you can find eveything on ebay for very reasonable cost, the coils and rear shocks came from summit racing.
    block kit from 'wheelsnparts' $40
    It will look similar to this.
    ( with 40 lbs in air shocks in pics, otherwise it sit to close to the axle in my case)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KS.ID and disturbio like this.
  9. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    looks sick man!! sits so nice, i love those 78s with the double headlights up0 front!! nice truck!

10. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Truck looks good

disturbio likes this.
  11. 1976 SR5

1976 SR5 Member

Truck:
    1976 SR5 long bed
    How do you like the Tokico shocks?