Weber carb fuel line hookup questions

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by HattedToast, Feb 24, 2020.

1. HattedToast

HattedToast Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Routing the fuel lines seems to be a lot more confusing than expected. I’m unsure if I have any of them routed correctly, and between the Regulator and gauge I am confused with the whole thing. One of the lines that goes to rear end of the truck has a mounting bolt location, but I am unsure where the mount location on the body/engine/frame would be. The picture with my hand in it, is the fuel line that goes from in the tank to somewhere on the pump which I assume is the return line?

Here’s what I know so far: The pump itself only has one label “IN”. And I believe I mounted the IN hose correctly, which goes from the tank -> filter -> pump. One of the lines goes out from the fuel pump back into the tank, and one of them goes into the regulator -> gauge -> carburetor. So the last 2 I have no clue about.

I know that just about every person on here has installed a Weber of some kind on their trucks so if you have any advice it’s greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Your return line will not really have any pressure. One thing though is mechanical pumps don't really work well with regulators.

3. HattedToast

HattedToast Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Should I not use the regulator on it? Would it negatively effect performance?

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It would be better to get an inline electric pump. I would run it with it first. See if the pressure bounces or holds steady. If the pump dosnt go above 3psi I suppose you could run it without.

HattedToast likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Carter P4070 is one of the main ones i saw people saying they used. So i got one, Been running it for 2 years no regulator or return to a 32/36 weber, 0 issues.

had more issues with the Holley regulator than without.

HattedToast likes this.
  6. HattedToast

HattedToast Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Did you mount yours in the tank? Also is the wiring bad?

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Looks to be an inline. It will be more then likely just be 1 power wire and grounded through the body. Most inline pumps will want to be mounted close to the tank and below it.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mounted it next to the tank, grounded it on the mount itself and just ran the necessary power wire along with a oil pressure fuel cut off switch mounted on a oil passage on the engine block. Very simple