Water straight into exhaust but head gasket intact help!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Shane, May 7, 2018.

1. Shane

Shane Newbie

Hey ya all! So just two weeks ago I decided to do a 22r block 20r head hybrid build for my engine. This was my first time messing with the engine like this. I drove it for over 700miles and it was totally fine had great power and good gas mileage. Once I landed at my final destination randomly out of nowhere I started blowing huge amounts of white smoke out the exhaust. The temperature would run hot, but gradually. I took it apart to find that my brand new gasket is fully intact and in great shape(like new). Anybody have any other ideas how the water/coolant was getting straight to the exhaust with out a blown head? Maybe cracked block? I feel like a did a good job on the torque specs and sequence but I did use the old bolts. Any help as I'm completely stumped would be huge. Thanks ya all!
    P.s. I did a uv liquid test and it showed the coolant coming out of the fourth cylinder

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.

The head bolt that sits directly under the camshaft sprocket is threaded into the aluminum timing chain cover. There are water jackets very close to this mating surface. If you over torqued this bolt and stripped the threads (easy to do) this could be the source of your water. It wouldn’t affect your compression so it’s easy to miss.
    That or you have a cracked block.
    Did you have the head checked for warpage befor install?

Shane likes this.
  3. Shane

Shane Newbie

Would that also allow water to get into the oil? I ended up pulling out almost 3gallons of oil/water from the oil pan. The block was bought from a guy too that everything else that came from that engine was pretty shit. I took the head to a great machine shop. They resurface, cleaned and told me they were able to even out the mating surface to .006

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Yes. You have oil passages and water passages adjacent to each other. The amount of water you’re getting sounds like a bigger problem than a bad head gasket.

Shane likes this.
  5. Shane

Shane Newbie

Ok thank you! How can I go about checking those water jackets? If I had a cracked block would that more than likely be able to be seen from the outside of the block? Also, not sure if this is related I'm guessing it is, but when I would turn right or even be leaning towards the left on an uneven road I would hear this strange inconsistent sound to what I thought was coolant hitting the exhaust or like at first I thought it was a bad wheel bearing sound ish. Lol

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Not necessarily on the cracked block. It could be internal and not obvious from the outside. Did you blow out any leftover water or oil from the bolt holes in the block before torquing the head bolts down? If not, this could give you a false reading on your torque which could cause leakage. Your old head bolts could also be stretched which is why you always want to use new bolts.

Shane likes this.
  7. Shane

Shane Newbie

Thanks for all your knowledge bud. I didn't blow out the holes before. Is there anyway to check for a cracked block specifically with the head off of it or no?

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    The only way I know of is to completely disassemble the short block and take it to a engine rebuilder to be tested ($$$$).
    It would be cheaper to buy a running engine and use the block from it. Or buy a rebuilt block.

Shane likes this.
  9. Shane

Shane Newbie

Thanks Fred for all your help!