wandering fuel guage

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by JOE_1985, Oct 13, 2009.

1. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    so has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it, my fuel guage on my truck will read all sorts of differnt levels but with the same amount of fuel

my last truck did this and i never did fix it cause id fill it up every 200 miles, for safety sake

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    its either a loose wire, or the rheostat in the tank is dirty leading to false readings.

3. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    I know exactly what it is. The fuel sending unit in the tank has these metal wires wrapped around like a coil. If yours is the original like mine was then the wires have broken on that coil. See the wires give you your reading of fuel and with the wires being broke the meter kind jump around. Its a extremely easy fix i replaced mine in like 15 minutes. You need a fuel sending unit you can lower the tank a little to give you more room, but get on the passenger side and you can pretty much pull it out from the side.

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    that is a rehostat ;)

same type of thing controls the dimming on the dash lights, not saying its interchangable but its the same type of switch.

DJ mixers/stereos are chok full of em too.

5. MacRib

MacRib Enthusiast

Truck:
    90 4runner, 94 standard cab, 90 standard cab STOLEN
    I'm with REDDAWG... the fuel sending unit is probably your problem. I had a similar problem with an 87 4x4. After half tank the gauge would drop to empty. I would run out of gas all the time. Just passed the rubber flap, between the bed and the frame on the passenger side, you have access to the top of the tank. You'll need a VERY short phillips screw driver... undo the screws and pull the sending unit up and then turn it to clear the bed. If you have help and a lot of room, you can also just remove the bed. It's only a few bolts and it gives you all the room you need. Remember which way the float is facing when it comes out because you want to make sure it goes in the same way. Otherwise it will hit the one of the sides inside the tank and get stuck. Good luck:D